Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the best place to live?

Thanks

Default Where is the best place to live?

What state is the most lupus friendly?
    We have the opportunity to choose anywhere to live and we are wanting to know what area would be the best to live in with lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I live in Scotland so have no idea but my boyfriend lives in Wyoming so shall be watching this thread with interest as we haven't fully decided who is moving to who's country just yet! :lol:
    Numpty:- (num-p-tee) dialect, chiefly Scot, ~n. 1. a bumbling fool: one who is intellectually challenged. 2. widely known in Scotland as an MSP (Member of Scottish Parliament).

Thanks

Hi Numpty,

Check out coolibar.com, uv index, and then click on "Climate Prediction Center Of the National Weather Center." It lists uv zones and further breaks it down by cities and uv ratings.

I hope this helps. I would post the shortcut but I don't think I am allowed to.

Take Care,

Faith

Thanks

haa haa good question. I can probably tell you where NOT to live~! NZ has the highest UV in the world (due to the ozone layer being thin over here, the lack of pollution and the bright sunny weather.).

Also I find the people here are naturally too complecent about the sun--meaning if you walk around with sunscreen and other gear--people will tend to comment on it.

I hear places like Hong Kong where Lupus is more common--and where people like to have the lilly white skin look--it is more acceptable to be sun adverse...

That's my 2 cents anyhow...

Thanks

You know, if I had to pick NoodleMom, I'd look for someplace with really progressive medical care in the field of autoimmune diseases. I think you can probably do some Internet research to help you figure that out. There are some top notch clinics out east, in Chicago...lots of major cities. Might be nice to be close to one of those.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default Noodlemum

Noodlemum - your screen name looks familiar? Did you used to be a member of the Birthtalks forum? I only ask because I had my two babies in May 2005 and March 2007 and was diagnosed with Lupus in 2007.

If not, sorry for the strange sounding post!

Thanks

I live in Texas and have a great rheumy, but I would agree with mnjodette and pick an area with great strides in autoimmune disease.
    At any rate, please let us know where you finally decide to "light"

In Him,

Karen

Thanks

i live in northern california and i would have to say the medical facilities are very good and people are very active in general and heath conscious so protecting yourself from the sun wont be frowned upon...because i live in san francisco there are so many specialty grocery stores and restaurants that can cater to your diet if you have a specific regimen. So i would say san francisco is a very good place to live for someone with lupus.
    on the other hand, I go to school in Pittsburgh, PA and the whole town is filled with hospitals. there is a lupus center which is very very good and specializes in lupus patients as well as doing research to help improve our lives. The medical care i get in pittsburgh is absolutely excellent and I cannot imagine getting medical care anywhere else because it would not be comprable. anyways i hope this helps!!

Thanks

Default Great places to live

I would weigh the following factors (as relative for you)
    * UV
    * Good Rheumies
    * Local Clinical Trials
    * Lots of opportunities to do "what you love most" -- e.g. more choices as to "when" to participate, since we lupies do have those out of the blues flares
    * Other family/friends close - as a support network

Thanks

This is always a hard topic for me, too, when we consider moving. I love the Pacific NW, but I moved to North Washington state and it is cold in the winter; however, I don't think Southern CA would be very good for me either. I mean, where is the happy medium? I guess the answer is nowhere - it's just whatever works best for you.
    Missy