Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flying in a plane or traveling effects lupus flare?

Thanks

Default flying in a plane or traveling effects lupus flare?

hi,

this is the second trip i have made on an air plane in the last 4 months. every time i fly i go into a big flare. right now iam in a great deal of pain i just got home 2 days ago. I also caught a cold from my grandaughter, Iam not in good shape right now. I have to fly agian the 1st of march. I was just wondering if eny body else had a problem with this

Thanks

I fly so rarely! THe last time I did, I was fine, but have no idea how it would be if it had been stressful.

Be sure to get your sleep, and possibly watch what you eat the days before and after - eat plenty of low fat, high vegetable and fruit diet. Light on protien - esp meats.

Thanks

Hi Ethanandrew,

I feel your pain (literally), having been on mega-doses of Cellcept lowered my immune system to where if you looked at me, I'd get sick. The only advice I can share with you that works very well for me is that I wear the "softcloth" masks whenever I am out in public. I hate to say it, but I'm a vain little soul and refused to wear that "hidious" thing out in public; but when I realized that I can't live shut in this house all day, so I through my passion for fashion out the window and bought the soft facemasks (they're better for long time wear). BELIEVE ME, IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!!

As that passion for fashion rose up inside me again, I decided to draw different faces for the mood I was in that day and now when people stare, atleast they have something to laugh about.

I know it sounds a bit much, but it definitely adds a quality to my life that lets me roam about in public. I avoid malls like the plague and whenever I go to restaurants, I always ask for a straw!! Having learned the hard way, now it has become second nature for me to take these necessary steps.

I hope this helps and I hope you're feeling better by now.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Browneyedgirl, I LOVE the idea of the faces on the soft masks! I'm on heavy doses of cellcept right now and live in fear of a sneeze in my direction! I bought some of those masks, and they are sitting in my bathroom cabinet gathering dust. You're not the only one with a vanity issue. ops: I also go through a lot of hand sanitizer at work. You do what you can, I guess, to stay in the game!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Oh crap--you say you guys are feeling bad about vanity issues--what happens if you are a bloke and feel the same way....get the lynch mob ready.~!!

I wonder if the germs on the planes are making you sick--or perhaps it is being sunbaked through the plane windows?

Thanks

Well, tintin, Shakespeare wrote "Vanity, thy name is woman..." (actually, he said "Frailty, thy name is woman"...but that's not as interesting!) Then again, Carly Simon wrote "You're so vain...you probably think this song is about you..." and we KNOW she was singing about a man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think air travel is particularly healthy for ANYONE, much less someone who is immune suppressed or in some other way vulnerable. Recycled, dry air - how good can that be for you?! Not to mention all of the hands that have touched seats, handles, trays...... Take what precautions you can and then hope for the best, right?

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Oh, you all are so right....and I"m getting on a plane tomorrow for Mexico. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that I'm seated next to nice, healthy people!

At least I"m not on Cellcept right now. However, I have had a bit of a setback and have to get more labs done when I return from Mexico. Depending on the results, I may have to go back on Cellcept. Even though I did not have many bad side effects from it, it is an emotional blow and a feeling of failure to possibly have to go back on.
    Missy

Thanks

Default what is cellcept for?

I am wondering what cellcept is for. I am guessing it is when your white count is down? I get sick frequently with colds, and such. I know on a few occasions my white count has been down.. it was 2.0 one time and my "fighting white cells" can't remember the name were extremely low too. Is this something that should be monitored? my dr found the low count by just doing routine bloodwork, my count went back up in a few weeks but I wonder if it's ever low and I don't know it... I could be putting myself in danger... Just wondering how other Dr.s monitor this and if mine should be monitored closer.

Thanks

Missy, I'm sorry you may have to go back on cellcept. I know how much I'd love to kick some of these meds - including the cellcept - but we do what we need to do, I guess. I hope you have a wonderful time in Mexico! My hubby and I are going to Hawaii in March (my rheumy said a big, fat NO to Mexico (not while I'm "immune-suppressed") so Hawaii seemed like a nice substitute...YEAH!! We'll have to compare vacation notes!

MommyKaren, cellcept is an immune suppressant. Sometimes you'll hear it referred to as a 'steroid-sparing' medication. That means it's prescribed in hopes that it will eventually take the place of steroids, like prednisone. There are other meds that are used in the same way (methotrexate, imuran...others, too.)

Thanks

Thanks, Jodi, for the kind words and pep talk. I'm getting labs done today, so I'm a bit nervous. I"m hoping the Lupus Nephritis isn't rearing its ugly head.

I did have a great time in Mexico and NO food poisoning for me! Yippee! It's a miracle! It was great to see some blue skies, sit in the shade, and read two books (silly vacation ones, too!). Hawaii sounds great. I went to Kauai several years ago, and it was beautiful. I am in love with Mexico, though. I always feel at home there.

Anyhoo, I stayed pretty darn healthy, talked my way into total relaxation (no trips into big city or whale watching for me, thank you very much). On the bus shuttle home from the airport there was a woman with what sounded like bronchitis. She really needed a kleenex and I couldn't even look at her it was giving me the shivers so bad. I can only hope she was covering her mouth well the entire 2 1/2 hour drive. I'm going to 'think healthy.'
    Missy