Thread: Please translate

Thanks

Default Please translate

OK got some test results back. My SED rate is 32 and it should be under 20. My white cell count is 17 and should be between 3.5 and 10. My ANA was negative again.

The swelling is still there as are the headaches and flank pain. I am having bad joint pain still. We are definite on the fibro. Pretty sure and the lupus. Negative on the possibility of low thyroid, kidney failure (did a urine test at drs office today not the 24 hour kind) and liver is good.

Any ideas what to do next except wait to see the rheum in feb? Can anyone think of another reason besides my kidneys for the swelling act? And does anyone else fall a lot. The GP doesn't think lupus is responsible for the falls. (I get dizzy then down I go sometimes accompanied by tunnel vision but usually not)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi PJ;
    Sed rate is used to determine the amount of inflammation. It is a marker of non-specific inflammation and the sed rate tends to be high in lupus. Several inflammatory conditions, including autoimmune conditions like Lupus, will increase the rate at which the red blood cells (erythrocytes) sink in a test tube and form a sediment (thus..the sed rate). The sed rate is decreased in congestive heart failure, and when using certain drugs (such as high doses of corticosteroids). Another test used to measure this is the C-Reactive Protein (CRP) test.

The normal Ranges are:
    Males: < 10.
    Females: < 15

Here is a list of other blood tests for Lupus and their explanations:

Hematocrit (HCT) and hemoglobin (Hgb) counts measure the number and quality of red blood cells. Lupus is a chronic disease which causes chronic inflammation. As such, the number of red blood cells is usually is low. It is the inflammation caused by the disease that is causing your pain, your swelling, and any warmth, or redness.) Low hematocrit and hemoglobin counts may be signs that your medication is causing a loss of blood from your stomach and passing through your bowel. Low counts also may indicate a decrease in red blood cell production.

White blood cell count (WBC) measures the number of white blood cells. When you have an infection, your body makes more white blood cells. Some medications that we take for Lupus can decrease the number of white blood cells, which could increase your chances of getting an infection.

Platelet count measures the number of "sticky" cells or platelets that help the blood to clot. (Aspirin and some other medications make the platelets less "sticky.") If the number of platelets is low you could have too much bleeding. Some powerful arthritic medications that we take for Lupus can, in rare instances, lower the platelet count.

Salicylate level measures the amount of salicylate in the blood to find out if enough is being absorbed to reduce inflammation. (Salicylate is the main ingredient in aspirin and some other NSAIDs.) This is a helpful test for people who are taking large doses of these medications for a long time. High salicylate levels can be harmful, with or without such symptoms as ringing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, or even fever.

Muscle enzyme tests (CPK, aldolase) measure the amount of muscle damage. (In some rheumatic diseases, damaged muscles release certain enzymes into the blood.) These tests also can show how effective medication has been in reducing inflammation that causes muscle damage.

Liver enzyme tests (SGOT, SGPT, bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase) measure the amount of liver damage. Certain medications used in the treatment of arthritis can damage the liver. Aspirin, for example, has been known in rare instances to damage the liver, especially in children or in people who have had previous liver damage. Other NSAIDs can cause liver inflammation (hepatitis). Methotrexate can cause liver damage, especially in people who drink alcohol.

The creatinine test measures kidney function. Creatinine is a normal waste product of the muscles. A high level of it means that the kidneys are not working well enough to remove waste products from the body. The uric acid test measures the amount of uric acid in the blood. People with gout usually have high levels of uric acid, which forms into crystals that are then deposited in the joints and other tissues. However, not everyone with a high uric acid level has gout.

I hope that this has been helpful. Let me know if you need anything further!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!