Thread: question about diagnosis

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default question about diagnosis

Just wondering, how difficult is getting a diagnosis if your doctor has a predetermination that you are probably imagining your symptoms? My doctor has always taken the attitude that there really isn't anything wrong with me, since he can't find anything definitive, and now, I asked him point blank to test me for lupus, and after a minute or two he asks me if I have done reading up on it. At first I thought he might be checking to see if I understood what lupus was, and now I am thinking he is taking the mind set that I have read enough about it to fake it.

If my test results arent absolutely positive, Im pretty sure he will believe he is right. I don't want to start all over with a new doctor, but , am getting to the point where I may have to.

Thanks

I just HATE it when a doctor doesn't listen! I've been blessed these last several years wiht one who does - and I'll never put up with less than that anymore.

autoimmune conditions are fiendishly hard to diagnose for many of us, the test results can be murky, the symptoms are so.... weird and non-specific in many cases.

I wish you a coming year of frank discussions with your doctor - take two copies of a list of questions, symptoms you're experiencing (and how often/how strong), and work through that list one by one - expect that he will talk to you honestly.

Thanks

You MUST find another doctor. We deal with enough stress as it is, and then to have a doctor not take you seriously is just too much. My GP blew me off for years, and when my OB/Gyn ordered the tests, he still didn't believe with the positive ANA... He only ordered the next set when I insisted, and then just scheduled me for the rheumy when they came back, without ever acknowledging he had delayed my diagnosis for years because he thought I was 'imagining' all these symptoms.

I think once a doctor has made up their mind, it's no good trying to change it. Especially with an illness as elusive as Lupus.

Sonya

Thanks

I agree with Sonya, you need to find a new Doctor. I suffered with symptoms for 10 years and my Dr kept trying to put me on anti depressants and acting like I was a nutcase. I got to where I didnt' want to go to any Dr. Well I got so bad that I decided to see another doctor. He did a bunch of tests and the Ana was positive. However, the ana is not always positive even when you have sle or other autoimmune things. My daughter just tested negative ana but positive Rumatoid factor igg.
    All this said, if your ana comes back negative or positive the dr won't believe it. I know mine didn't even when the ana was positive two different times. Like said by sonya, when they have made up their mind they don't like to be proven wrong.

In Him,

Karen

Thanks

RUN......don't walk to a new doctor!!!!!!! Remember, he works for you!!!!! It is vitally important that you have a doctor that you trust, that is compassionate, supportive, and above all else is interested in doing the best he/she can do to help you.

I don't know what your insurance is, but you may need to have a referral...if you have another doctor ob/gyn, etc. ask them if they know of or have any recommendations FOR THE BEST RHEUMATOLOGIST IN TOWN....don't settle for less. This is your life on the line and you want a doctor that you can develop a long lasting relationship with...because you'll be seeing alot of each other (smile).

PLEASE FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown