Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plaquenil

Thanks

Default plaquenil

I have been taking plaq for 10 days now 400mg a day and am having trouble getting to sleep.It takes ages.Anyone else has these problems too and is it a side affect?

Thanks

Marion,

I take plaquenil 400 mg, and had problems getting to sleep, but I don't think it was due to the Plaquenil. Dr suggested melatonin which didn't work. Dr. then prescribed Restoril and that did the trick; was asleep in no time at all.

I don't know if I have helped or not.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

Thanks for the answer Faith.
    I will see how it goes then.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sleep disturbances is generally not a side effect of Plaquenil. Lupus itself can cause sleep disturbances. If you also have Fibromyalgia, that can cause sleep disturbances. There are a host of other symptoms and medications related to Lupus and the diseases that co-exist with it that can cause sleep disturbances.
    Hopefully your doctor will prescribe something that works for you and will allow you to get some recuperative sleep!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi, I normally don't have sleeping problems.Only since I started taking plaq.And I prefer to take a natural sleeping tablet if I really need to because what my doctor can describe is addictive.

Thanks

I've been on plaquenil for a month and a half and I have experienced that problem. I did have the problem with prednisone though.

Thanks

Yes--I agree--I have been on Plaquenil for many years and never experienced real sleeping disturbances.

Prednisone, however, is horrible. I used to sleep 2 hrs a night on high doses of prednisone but wake up feeling like I had a full night of sleep.

Thanks

my rhuem sugessted this med as a possiblity for me. and i want to know what are the major side effects and does it help with rash? fatigue? what does it do and is it a steroid? ect

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Prednisone is a synthetic hormone in a class of drugs called cortisteroids. Prednisone is very similar to the hormone cortisone, which the body manufactures.
    Prednisone does several things in the treatment of Lupus. One of the things that it does is it acts as an immunosuppressant. Our immune system protects against foreign bacteria and viruses. In Lupus), the immune system produces antibodies, which become overactive and causes many undesirable effects (like inflammation on joints, muscles, tissues and organs).
    Prednisone suppresses the production of these antibodies. This suppression stabilizes the immune system that has become overactive due to Lupus.
    Lupus).

The adverse reactions to Prednisone are:

SHORT TERM -
    * Mood swings, depression, or euphoria.
    * Insomnia (can be lessened by taking the prednisone in the a.m.)
    * Indigestion (can be lessened by taking prednisone with food)
    * Increased appetite and weight gain
    * Susceptibility to infections. Prednisone slightly decreases resistance to infection.
    * Fluid retention (A salt-restricted/potassium-rich diet may help reduce fluid retention.)
    * Hyperglycemia or diabetes (prednisone elevates blood sugar)
    * Flushing or hot flashes (usually because of an elevated blood sugar)
    * Easy bruising of skin

Long Term Use:
    * Osteoporosis (fragile bones)
    * Glaucoma and cataracts

If prednisone is stopped too quickly, serious adverse effects can occur (nausea, vomiting, pain, fever, and/or flare-up of disease). Heart palpitations and tachycardia (a too fast heart rate) are common if the prednisone is stopped abruptly and can cause chest pains or even heart attack in people with compromised systems!

Call your doctor right away if you have any of these side effects:
    skin rash
    blurred vision
    swelling of feet or legs or weight gain
    muscle cramps or weakness
    severe stomach pain
    bloody vomit or blood in stools
    increased thirst or urination

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie,

thank you for the info about prednizone, I was actually referring to the plaqenil? i have been on pred and I never want to go back on it again unless i have too. but i am curious about the plaqenul? how does this differ from the pred? what symptoms does it help? any info would be great