Thread: cellcept

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default cellcept

okay guys.......

I have read alot of the posts on cellcept, but I have not ready anything about any increase in viruses, flu or anything like that.

I have just been put on it and when I asked the Dr. for how long, I got the general "long term" answer. I have gotten that one before and to me that tells me for a long time!

anyhow, I am still working in an office building full of mostly sick people :lol: what I mean is that at any given moment, I can count on at least one person being sick with something. any suggestions for preventative measures? I have already had 2 vaccines, but I am still not sure.

Thanks

Because Cellcept suppresses your immune system, you are more susceptible to viruses and bacteria. When I was first diagnosed and on my highest dose of Cellcept (2000 mg a day), I stopped working for a year. Now, I also worked with kids and was SO SICK all the time with flus and colds before getting diagnosed. The odd thing is, I haven't (knock on wood!) been sick nearly as much since diagnosis. I"ve been off Cellcept for almost 2 years now, and am doing well. I took it for Lupus Nephritis. I tried not to be around sick people when I was on it and washed my hands a lot, too.

I hope Cellcept works as well for you as it did for me.

Good luck,
    Missy

Thanks

I'm now up to 2000 mg a day, too. I had my flu shot, and am careful to stay away from sick folks, too. So far, I haven't gotten sick. But, cold and flu season is just starting. I still work half time. I've been on other immune suppressants (methotrexate, imuran) and did have some experience with illness on both of them. The worst was shingles - yuk.

I do worry about the exposure to germs. My husband and I want to take a winter vacation to Mexico in March, but I'm a little hesitant because of the cellcept. I'm going to run that one by my doctor.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jodi's right - don't forget your flu shot! Your doc will want you to have one. I also worked part-time when I went back to work and I think that helped, too.

Jodi, I went to Mexico the last few winters, even while on Cellcept, so let me know if you have any questions. I've actually been to Mexico 10 times ( it's my home away from home - love it there) and I have a penchant for foodborne illness, so if I can be helpful, let me know!
    Missy

Thanks

Thanks, Missy! I see my doctor on Thursday and I'll be asking her whether she thinks it'll be OK. I'd love some advice on how to make the trip without risking getting sick. We've been to Mexico before - both land trips and as part of cruises. But, I haven't done any of that kind of travel since I got sick. I was in Egypt a couple of months before I got sick, and that might've been what took my lupus from 'latent' to 'active!'
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Jodi - I just found out I am 99% sure I'm going to Mexico in January. Yippeee! Can't wait to sit in the shade in 80 degree weather. Ahhhh.........guacamole, margaritas, oh how fun!

I'll probably call my internist to get a Rx for an antibiotic for food poisoning. I'm usually very careful. Only bottled water, no food off streets, not very much meat, either. But, last year in a very resorty place, it snuck up on me big time, so I feel better having my antibiotic and bringing my instructions from NIH on foodborne illness, so I take it appropriately.

Good luck at the doctors! Oh, I also have had Hepatitis vaccines in the past, too.
    Missy

Thanks

Well, Missy, I saw my rheumy and she was not-so-hot on the idea of traveling to Mexico (or any 'under-developed country') when I'm immune suppressed, and still having clinical symptoms. My hubby was there when she told me that, so there's no way he's going to want to do that now! She said the choice was mine (of course) and I could go to the travel clinic at the hospital to get prepared, if I decide to go. But, I think instead we're going to go to Hawaii - not a bad compromise, as far as I'm concerned! I'm a little worried about the long flight and how my neuropathy will act, but if I get up and move around from time to time, I should be OK. I hope you have a GREAT time!

Jody

Thanks

Hi Jody -

Bummer about Mexico, and a bit surprising to me, since I went and my docs didn't blink an eye when I was on a massive dose of Cellcept, but hey, they all are different. And Hawaii is great, too. A little more expensive, but if it makes you and your hubby feel comfortable, then it's worth a million bucks, right? I've only been to Kauai and it was beautiful.

I got my tickets to Mexico and am going in the middle of January. HAppy planning for you, too!!!!
    Missy

Thanks

Missy, I think my rheumy is a little conservative; cautious. I've had a rough year - just can't seem to get a handle on all of the symptoms or find the right mix of meds. 'Course, I could just go to Mexico anyway, and take my chances. But I think we'll do the Hawaii thing this year - it was on 'the list' anyway!! Hope you have a great time! You'll have to post a report when you get back!

Jody