Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression?

Thanks

Default Depression?

I know depression can come on with no reason, and be tough to get through and take a lot of time to get over. My question is can depression come and go quickly as well, or would something like that be considered mood swings? I get severly sad for no reason, comes on quickly even if I was in a good mood. I don't care what's going on around me when I get like this, don't eat, sleep or care to do anything. Just want to sleep or cry or both. Then it just goes away, sometimes later the same day and sometimes up to a week later. What is going on? Depression or really bad mood swings? What could cause such a thing? I feel like a nut case. I don't want to call the doc again, nothing he can really do any ways. Please, can anyone tell me what all this means? Any enlightment, will this pass? Is it stress? Hope I'm not sounding pathetic, just don't like these feelings I have lately. I just want to make them go away. Thanks for listening.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Cheryl, sometimes meds can cause some pretty wide mood swings, or depression. Are you on steroids? I've known some people to experience some pretty strong emotional reactions to prednisone. And, let's face it, having lupus could certainly cause depression. Talk to your doctor - I know it's just one more thing to deal with, but it's tough enough to take good care of yourself and cope with this disease without having your moods are all over the map. I hope you find some answers. Take good care of yourself!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

No meds, just neproxin and cortosone shot. Doc not sure if lupus or not, waiting to see a new rhuemy. Just unsure of whats going on with myself. Thanks for your input.
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You mentioned that you are taking cortisone shots. Cortisone (like prednisone) is well known for causing mood swings. It can cause irritability also. So, do not think that there is something wrong with you...if you are diagnosed with Lupus, the disease itself can cause depression and mood swings!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I had no idea the shots could do that. I have been quite irritable and snippy lately. I've been on the shots since early June. This way I've been feeling has been for about only a month or two though. Just at a lost for the way I feel. I certainly understand what someone really means when they say "emotional roller coaster". I thought I knew before, but I really understand the statement now. That's the only way to describe how this feels. I just want off the ride, I don't know how to stop this roller coaster though. I don't like feeling like this . I miss the old quiet, but somewhat happy me. Maybe I should skip next shot and see if this all improves? I don't know, just afraid if I say something to doc then he'll just want to give me meds. I do like the doc I have, just despise having to take meds if I don't really need too. Sorry to keep going on about it all, but thanks for advice and info. I'll write this down too in my journal, maybe it'll help doc and new doc coming up on understanding this body of mine. Thanks again for the replies.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Have you considered your hormones?

I really hate it myself when someone sees me being grumpy, and mentions PMS, but truthfully... I think Lupus exaggerates those issues.

For me, it was not just a certain couple days of the months. As my estrogen levels fluctate, so would my mood.

When I was diagnosed, my doc took me right off the birth control pills. We recently tried Loestrin, (low estrogen BC). it's not working out either.

Sonya

Thanks

How do you find out if its hormones? I would really like to get a handle on this while I'm thinking straight. Can the docs tell if its hormones or depression? If I get back in that mood, I won't care or bother with going to docs. I've even canceled app. that I've had to call back and reschedule later. Appoligizing of course for my behavior and the aggrivation I cause the secretaries. I'm driving myself crazy and making myself ill worring about these moods. I love kids, and I don't want my kids and my day-care kids to see me like this. I have called my mom though yesterday, she said she'll take over if needed. But what do I do? I can't keep living like this worring about moods and behaviors I "may" have. :?
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are absolutely right....you cannot continue like this with excessive worry about moods or behavior that "might" happen. You are now causing yourself undue stress and PLEASE KNOW that stress is our WORSE ENEMY. Stress can cause your symptoms to worsen, stress can make your flare-ups last longer and can cause you to have more frequent flare-ups with a slower recovery time. On top of all that, stress exacerbates your mood swings!
    You are putting yourself in a sort of "Vicious Cycle" worrying about moods swings and behavior, which causes stress, which worsens your symptoms and exacerbates your mood swings and behavior, which makes you worry about your mood swings and behavior, which causes more stress.........see what I mean?

Take a deep breath and know that you are loved by your family and those who are important to you. Because you are loved, your mood swings and behavior are understood! You are not judged or criticized for responding in ways that are not entirely within your ability to control. You are your biggest critic of your behavior and being so is perpetuating this vicious cyle that you find yourself in. If you feel that you've behaved inappropriately, just apologize by saying that you truly do not mean to hurt anyone or cause any disruption. Also, if you feel that your mood is changing or that you are irritable, let your loved-ones know that in advance and also let them know that these mood swings are the result of a combination of things.... medication, the disease, and possibly hormones.

I have always been a big advocate for taking care of our emotional health as well as our physical health. Mood swings and depression is a common symptoms of Lupus, because of the disease itself and its medications. It might be beneficial for you to seek counseling to help you to understand what is happening and to give you ammunition to control them (or at the very least, minimize their effects on you and your loved-ones).

The biggest mistake that you can make is to stop taking your medications and to stop keeping your doctor's appointments. Doing so could have very detrimental consequences on your health. If your medications need to be changed or eliminated, you must do so with the supervision of your doctor! You should never do this without your doctor's knowledge and/or approval.

I do hope that you are able to find some way to manage and not stress so about your mood swings etc. Seek help to guide you to that point. In the meantime, we are here to help you in any way that we can!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks Saysusie, I know your right and I shouldn't fret over the "maybe" of having these moods. It's hard though, I'll just try not to think about it so much. I've been keeping busy as to not have the time to think. The doc app. I'm keeping, its just I find myself canceling them when in this mood. In the back of my mind I know I shouldn't do this, but at that moment I don't care. I'm better this week verses last week. My earliest doc app. is January, I'll see what doc says. Or should I call sooner? Haven't had new rhuemy app yet, so I know its no good to call her. I don't want to talk to family or hubby on this. Its like what SonyaLA said, everyone says it must be some extened PMS and they're sure it'll go away. Hormones could be the answer, but not always. I wounder what they would say if I was a guy with this problem? (no offense to you guys) Thanks again for your reply, as well as the others. I know I'm my worst critic and I shouldn't worry so much. I love it here, people actually listen to the words said not just the person talking. Does that make any since?
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't....Don't let the feelings of being nuts run away with you...you are not...there is a reason. Just keep focus on one thing while feeling like that, something easy that won't cause frustration, sewing, reading, ironing, painting, writing, making cookies something tedious that requires just you...... Or drag the TV into the bathroom and take a long soak.

Here I am....it is nice to be back...Ah..ah..ah.... stayin' alive, stayin' alive...Hey, I posted my whereabouts in Lauri's Lounge...

Now back to you, Cheryl V...depression, what an ugly word, eh? Fits the mood, eh..ugly feeling.

Ask your primary to check your hormone levels, estrogen, progesterone..for an accurate check they should be done at different times during your cycle.

If you think it is gynecological, is your cycle normal, average in length. Pre- ovulation length? Luteal phase (post ovulation) length? Any pain, possible cysts? All can create mood swings associate with abnormal levels of hormones....

I'd start a journal of your moods and the foods you eat...maybe some association there. Too much sugar, maybe? Wheat?

Me, my depression is from having this, this... chronic disease and all of the above..no cysts though. Literally to me. Lupus... it is a constant nag, reminding me how well I am not. Longing, missing....wanting, wishing, new pains, pains that stay. The pain tearing at my mental well being. Conscientiously aware or not it is always taunting in the background.

I remember when I had my first back surgery. I told my doctor I was depressed, she replied she would be surprise if I wasn't having such chronic pain.

I am also in perimenopause. That attributes to the 180 degree pendulum swing. Moments of crocodile tears, irritation.

My remedy for da blues...has been a pill...Cymbalta. It has been doing it for me. Prior, even before this last ugly period of being ill I would feel hopeless which triggered fear...I was down, I was up. I'd laugh, but yet felt inanimate. Weird. Since dosing with Cymbalta I feel normal. I don't get that weakening sick fear inside. I don't snap like turtle. I am coasting...feels nice.

It is hard trying to control and understand our emotions without being critical of ourselves. Sometimes we start worrying who we maybe hurting or wanting to just stay cooped up so our actions won't affect anyone.. Which only leads us down the path of more episodes or tears or irritability and isolation, loneliness and depression.

January is a long wait, can you get in to see a PA?

Do you take walks? Stretch? If not, try that too...till you can get in...

Now do a ballerina leap, a twirl..stretch to the sky and take a slow deep breath. Enjoy the linger of oxygen.

Try all avenues till you find one that has the scenery you enjoy..
    Love,
    Oluwa