Thread: Swollen fingers, joints, and cold hands

Thanks

Default Swollen fingers, joints, and cold hands

:?: Its been over a year and a half since my diagnosis, so I'm still learning things about lupus every day. I've noticed that ever since the weather changed (its been very cold lately) my fingers and hands have been achey and swollen at times. Is that arthritis acting up? Also, I've noticed that the joints in my right hand (my dominant hand) are more swollen and more achey than my left. Also, my right hand and fingertips feel so cold. Why is it affecting my right hand more? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just curious if anyone has experienced this too. :?
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many of us with Lupus have secondary Raynaud's Syndrome. The inflammation and stiffness (arthritic like symptoms) can be a result of Lupus. The sudden coldness and blue tint on your fingers can be a symptom of Raynaud's. With Raynaud's, your fingers turn pale with cold or stress, then turn bluish, and, finally, red. You can experience pain, numbness, and tingling along with the color changes.
    Raynaud's phenomenon is a disorder that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose. It causes episodes of attacks, called vasospastic attacks, that cause the blood vessels in the digits (fingers and toes) to constrict (narrow).
    There is no way of knowing why symptoms would affect one side and not the other. However, this happens to me quite often. My right hand goes tingling, numb and blue more often than my left hand! However, it affects both of my feet equally and when it happens, it is extremely painful!!
    I'm not sure if this is what is causing your symptoms or not. You should discuss this with your doctor to find out exactly what is going on!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I also have Raynaud's and find that it often affects every other finger; sometimes on one hand; sometimes on both. Very odd - and it isn't always the same fingers. My hands are also very 'achey' now that the weather has turned cold. I'm thinking of getting some of those chemical hand warmer packets that hunters often use and keep one in each of my pockets when I have to be outside.

Stay warm out there!
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I have just recently been noticing these changes in my hands as well. ( my endroconolgist saw this and asked me if this happens often to my hands" Ilooked at my hands and they were red on the tips and around the joints, i have seen my hands go from pale white to bright firey red ! the even weirder thing is when my hands get really cold i can feel them tryin to warm up like a rush of something to my finger tips. ya know when you go for a really long walk and swing your hands at your sides and then you look at them and they are throbbing. its like that. I dont really understand why having raynods is that big of a deal? can some one tell me why or if I should be concerned?

Thanks

I have Raynaud as well and my joint swell up a little as well and they hurt and are stiff.Sometimes I have difficulties wether to go and see a doctor, since I have CDLE,SCLE not confirmed yet, and a GP who says I hyperventilate.It takes ages to get an appointment in the hospital.

Thanks

Marion,
    Hi!
    So you have SCLE? do you have any pics of you rash? i have a bunch of pics and I too havent been completley diagnosed with scle but i know i have it.. And its has been coming back and forth for over 5mths now!
    this time i have been getting these big red bumps on my arms that kind of hurt. not really but a little, and i have noticed on my head i have 2 spots that hurt and feel like a bump. may have no coralation what so ever but, im so used to wierd things popin up here or there! =)
    my legs were the worst of it, and my upper right arm has it pretty bad does your itch? almost like its an under the skin itch?

Thanks

Raynauds is not all that uncommon, and I don't think it's generally thought of as 'serious' although it can be, if it gets severe enough to do damage to the tissues. I think the Mayo Clinic site has some pretty good information on it. Here's a link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...433/DSECTION=3
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

okay so my rash is spreading and its more like bumps and crater looking my skin seems to be irratated and it looks wrinkley... i think i should make a call to the derm on monday and see if i should be taking a pill for this rash it seems to not be going away? it does then it comes back its confusing..

Thanks

Hi joakris,
    I have had CDLE since 2001 and my bloodwork has always been good, until last month.
    Raynaud I have had for as long as I can remember and the joints problems also in 2001.
    I have been to a reumy but he did not think it was SCLE,SLE etc.
    He said give up smoking,wich I did 6 months ago.
    In a few weeks I need to go back to the dermatologist and will have a talk with him then if it is SCLE.
    So far he has always said it was CDLE because my bloodwork has always been ok till now.
    I don't have any pics of my rash
    I have been really ill for the last 6 months but only since last month my blood is not good and the dermy said the lupus is very active, although my rash is gone.