Thread: Positive hep c and actin smooth antibody tests

Thanks

Default Positive hep c and actin smooth antibody tests

Is there any correllation between a positive hep c reading and positive actin smooth muscle test?I am concerned and am still waiting for more tests to be done. I also had a high cardiolipin test.
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hepatitis C can cause liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Anti-actin antibodies are generally found in the serum of patients with various forms of chronic cholestatic and non-cholestatic liver disease, and of patients with acute hepatitis B or non-A, non-B, or C. Anti-actin antibody is associated with chronic autoimmune parenchymal liver damage and its appearance may mark the transition from acute hepatitis.
    There have been studies on the α-smooth muscle actin (α-SMA) in hepatic stellate cells (HSCs), which are markers of HSC activation, in patients with chronic hepatitis B and hepatitis C. The activation of a-smooth muscle actin directly correlated with necroinflmmatory grades and fibrotic stages in chronic hepatitis B or hepatitis C. Patients with Hepatits C had higher HSC activation than patients with hepatitis A or B.
    Autoimmune hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver that is associated with high concentrations of the anti-actin autoantibodies (and other antibodies), To make a definitive diagnosis, doctors must exclude viral causes, hereditary and drug induced liver disease. Autoimmune hepatitis occurs predominantly in women and affects all ages. It is responsible for up to 18% of chronic hepatitis cases not attributable to viruses or alcohol.

I hope I wasn't too clinical in this response. Let me know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

No that was not too clinical. I very glad to hear all of it. My Rheumy is a great Dr, but I think that he doesn't want to say everything so as not to scare me or my hubby. Knowledge is power for me. Not knowing is worse than knowing the worst.

Again thanks,
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I completely agree. We must be knowledgeable about our disease, we must be advocates for our health care and we must educate our loved-ones about Lupus and how it affects us. Knowledge is, indeed, power!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!