Thread: not in my head

Thanks

Default not in my head

Hey
    I am new to sle and this forum. I have been being told for years that the symptoms were all in my head so "take cympalta because DEPRESSION hurts" This has been for the last 5-8 years. I recently went to a new gen pract and he had the good sence to do the first ANA. I went to a Rheumy who said that the only thing that he thought was wrong with me was Fibromyalgi and then proceeded to tall me that he liked to refer to it as "crazy woman's disease" : I want for a second opinion who took other tests as well as really examing me and with the rash on my face as well as all of the other painful things he said that I did have Lupus and Fibro. Possible celiac and lupoid hepatitis. Those other Dr's are worthless in my book.
    Well thanks for listening to my vent.
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sickntired :lol:
    First, let me welcome you to our forum. I am sorry that you had to deal with unprofessional doctors. Especially the one who claimed that Fibromyalgia is a "Crazy Woman's Disease". I think that I would report that doctor because that is a direct insult on so many levels!
    Many doctors dismiss us by telling us that our symptoms are all in our heads. This, too, is a direct insult. It generally comes from doctors who know little to nothing about either illness and would rather dismiss us than try to find a way to help us.
    You have to become your own advocate for your health care. Educate yourself about Lupus and Fibromyalgia, learn their symptoms, their medications, their treatments etc. Keep track of how they affect you! In doing so, you will be able to stand up for yourself the next time a doctor makes a dismissive statement to you. Also, you will be able to make informed decisions about your health care WITH your doctor!
    You may also come to us with your questions and concerns, we will do everything that we can to help you! You are not alone.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for your encouragement. This is a very scary road to walk on. I thought that Lupus was like cancer in so much that it meant certain death. I am just beginning to learn of the different facets of the illness. I hope that it is not getting in my liver. That is what is being tested again. The Dr is also testing two of my daughters, tomorrow.

Blessings to you,
    Karen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus is, by no means, a disease that means certain death. It is a chronic disease which means that you will need to make lifestyle changes in order to manage it and to avoid flare-ups. Yes, you will have to do this for the rest of your life. But, there are many of us who have lived with this disease for more than 20 years and are still maintaining a reasonably normal life.In fact, if you begin to take care of yourself now, make the appropriate lifestyle changes, take your medication and educate yourself about this disease, you may have a chance of achieving remission. That is the goal of treatment; to avoid flare-ups, to reduce inflammation, and to achieve remission. But, you must become diligent in your methods to managing your Lupus.

Even if Lupus has affected your liver, there are medications that can stop and/or reverse the damage. You will find, when you begin to educate yourself about Lupus, that for each symptom, there is a treatment and if treatment is begun early and the patient is diligent, there can be the possibility of remission.

We are here to help you, to answer your questions, provide information and to give you support whenever you need it. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!