Thread: How much worse

Thanks

Default How much worse

Hello to everyone

I have only been diagnosed for two weeks, however I first had a positive blood test in June.

To date my health issues have been:
    Mild joint pain
    Photosensitvity - rash, nausea, headache
    Fatigue
    Hair loss
    Mouth Ulcers
    Fevers
    Sore throats

I am taking Plaquenil

Although it has had an impact I would say that I am basically well. Will it get worse for me? I know it is different for everyone, but I guess what I'm asking is, is this just the beginning? Does it get progressively worse? I am 29 now (I have two children - one only 7 months old).

Also, how much does diet have an impact? I asked my rheumy this and he said that it has no effect at all.

Rosie

Thanks

Default Diet helps

I would disagree with your rheumy about diet. I think having a healthy diet with no junk foods, sugar caffeine or alcohol would help anyone.
    I know that if I have a good diet and eat regularly I feel better and am happier.

Thanks

I agree with Barbara Jean, I believe it does help. I have a book about foods that help your body, good health or bad. For Lupus patients it states: eat foods rich in antioxidants, bioflvonoids, vit. E, zinc, selenium and gamma linolenic acid ( ex.-graefruits, broccoli, cabbage, kale, whole grains and plant seed oils). Cut down on: protein, especially from meat sources. Avoid: alfalfa, animal fats. If your sun sensitive, avoid celery, parsnips, parsley, lemons, limes and figs (may heighten photosensitivity). Some people with lupus benefit from a modified vegetarian diet that allows eggs, skim milk, and other low-fat dairy products. In my opinion fish is quite beneficial to your health, then again fish has always been, of course not fried (lol).

This is just advice, I found my joints do hurt less now that I've cut meat down in my diet. Especially beef, I don't eat that at all anymore. I do eat chicken, fish and sometimes pork. I don't personally know if this books advice for food works, I just figured it must do some good or it wouldn't have been published. I do find I feel better when I try to follow the diet, I have food allergies,so its hard to follow for me.

Hope this helps, any good healthy diet will have benefits. Following it is easier said than done (lol). :lol:
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi,

Please forgive the question, but I'm curious. What blood test came back positive in July that they would wait to diagnose? I'm just learning about all of this. Good luck on your treatment, and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks.

Thanks

Rosiedi, my rheumy also said that there is no clinical evidence that a "special" diet has any benefit for lupus patients. However, she was pretty clear that a heart-healthy diet is a must. Those of us with lupus are at much higher risk for heart disease, so it makes sense to eat heart healthy. I think the important thing to remember, though, is that people with lupus very often have other health issues, too - and no two people have lupus exactly the same way - so diet might make a lot of difference, depending on your symptoms or the other health issues you might have going on.

Glassgirl, there is no single blood test to diagnose lupus. There are lab results that are part of a lupus diagnosis. I think the lupus foundation website has a pretty good explanation of diagnosis. www.lupus.org
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

My rheumy said nothing about diet either - however, I modified my diet and found it helped a LOT.

As above, I cut all meat except for occassional fish - especially salmon - eat a pretty "mediteranian" diet - the main fat is olive oil, lots of whole grain, lots of veggies, lots of fruits.

hadn't heard some of the things Cheryl V mentioned - but most of us are sun sensitive. So i avoid the sun and wear my broad brimmed hats year round.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I have started to cut meat out of my diet too. The only thing that worries me is that I was vegetarian for 5 years during my late teens early 20s and suffered from major depression and lesion type things on my skin!

Glass girl - my ANA was positive at a titre of 1:640 in July and in October (however my rhuemy had it written down as 1:160 after my July appointment - I tried to point this out to him, as did my GP in a letter, but he didn't seem to take it on board).

Actually, I'm not happy with my Rhuemy. Do you think I should look for another one?

Thanks

If your not happy, I think you should switch. Having a doc you like can make you feel good. Hope evryone's feeling better todday.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Default Meat?

Can I just ask why most things I read seem to recomment a vegetarian diet? Is that because we should try to keep animal fat to a minimum? Anyone know?

Thanks

Animal fat is an extremely high unhealthy fat. Takes longer to break down in the body, therefore your body is able to store more of the fat. Beef (the worse of all meat) is high in saturated fat and can increase cholesterol and risk of cardiovascular disease. A high meat diet can increase the risk of colon cancer and other cancers. Eating rare beef is a source of E. coli and toxoplasmosis infections. Thats why a diet low in meat can be beneficial, especially when you only eat healthier meats like chicken and fish. Hatlady's "mediteranian" diet is good example of the way we (anyone really) should eat. I hear lots of good things about that kind of diet, I follow a similar diet. Animal fat does aggrivate and cause joints to flame up and hurt. Higher the animal fat, the more pain you feel. Lower the fat, less you feel. Hope this helps.
    Cheryl