Thread: Recovery Time after giving birth

Thanks

Default Recovery Time after giving birth

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to ask the people who have had children (or people who have been around women with lupus who have had children) how long did it take to recover? I am in the beginning process of trying and wanted to have an idea about how much is needed to bounce back. I know everyone's situation is different but any information would be helpful. Also, was anyone able to deliver a child naturally? Most books I've read said it is not likely for women with lupus...

Thanks

Default recovery

I just had my second 4 months ago. I was lucky and my lupus went into remission the entire pregnancy. Since, however, is another story. I have been hit with a vengeance! This has been my longest and meanest flare yet! As for the natural thing, both my boys were c-section, but I don't think that has anything to do with lupus. My mom was unable to have children naturally because her bone structure wasn't right and I'm sure that is what is going on with me. Both times I tried to go naturally and failed and I don't plan to try again (though I do plan to have as many children as the Lord blesses me with). Recovering from a c-section is longer so I'm not sure how much lupus is affecting it. I can tell you that it is worth it! One thing to find out about is antiphospholipid syndrome. My second pregnancy was much easier because we knew I have that and took measures to help things with it. Everyone is so different and every case distinct. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors!
    Lars

Thanks

Default another view

hi girl
    I am new here but I have had lupus since 1999 unfortunatly. I refused to believe the doc when they told me no babies so good for you as for natural birth they wanted me to do a natral birth because its more difficult so heal after major surgery and anything can trigger this awful disease. I had tried to go natural completely... but I couldnt because we didnt know it then but my hips are too small and wouldnt allo to push put that little baby but I had emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped around his neck and everytime I pushed it choked him and his heart rated lowered and stayed that way so they got him out REALLY FAST!I am grateful for! during my prego I had antiphospholipid antibody syndrome which was controlled with heprin I was the longest lupus pateint in the clinc to deliver I stayed prego with no problems at 37 weeks and the reason is they didnt want me to go into labor on my own so the induced me. My second was a planne c-section and no problems with him either broke my own record with hi at 38 weeks and both healthy boys weighing in at 6lbs 7oz both of them were! so I think I had the best doc in the whole world honestly if your n omaha ne I a suggest you go to dr.jimmy khandalavalla he has the most awesome nurse sally and its an office that cares about patients and takes their time to know whats going on so look for game plans with obgyns you interview mine came highly reccomended by diffreent people so I knew I made the right decisionwant to ask me anything else? go ahead please! of I forgot though I did come out of remssion wih my 2nd baby and now my kidneys are completely failed and I am on diaysis waiting for transplant so be careful also they think its because of the hormones from breastfeeding I did that for a year then got diagnosed with it coming back so I had to stop so just so you know!
    Autumn

Thanks

Default wow deja vu

Autumn!
    You sound so much like me. (Except for the kidney thing which I hope I can avoid). My first c-section was because my baby was in distress. Now we know that he was in distress because my bones are too small. My second one we still didn't know if it was me or my first so I tried naturally again. Now I know and if I have any more I will NOT be dealing with any labor, thank you very much! I have been struggling since my second was born (they both went full term) and have never heard anything about breastfeeding contributing to the lupus. Can you tell me more about that? I am struggling with this flare mostly because I am being too stubborn to take prednisone or plaquenil or anything. I have been successful for the last month in not taking anything but natural stuff and trying to make lifestyle changes to fight the lupus. While I have my good days and my very bad days, I have managed to survive, but I wonder sometimes if I'm making the right choice. Every time I use prednisone it just comes back when I go off it and I really don't want to be dependent on it the rest of my life. Ok, I'm rambling. Let me know what you know about breastfeeding if you would please.
    Thanks!
    Lars

Thanks

Default BREASTFEEDING

HEY GIRL
    I READ OVER SOME STUFF ABOUT YOU WE DO HAVE ALOT IN COMMON! LISTEN I AM TOTALLY AGAINST THE MEDICALL PROFESSION AND THEIR ADVICE ON TAKING DRUGS FOR THE REST OF OUR LVES BUT THIS IS A SEVERE DISEASE AND TO STAY ALIVE FOR YOUR KIDS YOU NEED TO BECOME SUBBMISSIVE TO THE PROCESS! TAKING DRUGS AND COMING OFF OF THEM WITHOUT PROPERLY BEING WINGED OFF WILL CAUSE A FLARE SO YOUR ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT IN THAT YOUR BODY GETS TRICKED SO STAY ON THE MEDS AND YOUR LIFE WILL BE SO MUCH EASIER. AFTER YOU GET BETTER THE DOCS WILL TAKE YOU OFF OF THEM WHEN ITS TIME THEY DO CAUSE AWFUL SIDE EFFECTS THAT EVENTUALLY GO AWAY SO ITS WORTH IT TO HAVE YOUR LIFE AND WATCH YOUR KIDS GROW UP ISNT? WHAT KIND OF LUPUS DO YOU HAVE? KIDS I AM NOT HAVING ANYMORE I WANT A FEW THOUSAND MORE I LOVE BEING PREGO AND HAVING A NEW BABY AND ALL THAT BUT THE KIDS I HAVE NOW ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY SELFISH DISIRES SO I AM KEEPING THE ONES I HAVE! BUT BREAST FEEDING ---THE CAUSE OF LUPUS ISNT SURE COULD BE FROM ANYTHING FOR IT TO BE TRIGGERED SICKNESS, ALLERGY, ENVIRONMENT AND DEF. HORMONES THE HORMONES IN A WOMANS BODY ARE OUTRAGEOUS WHEN WE ARE PREGO AND WHEN WE BREAST FEED AND SO THATS HOW I CAME OUT OF REMSSION AND THATS WHY ALOT OF WOMEN EITHER GO OUT OF REMSSION WHEN THEY GET PREGO OR AFTER DELIVERY. SO THATS ME!! KEEP IN TOUCH!
    AUTUMN

Thanks

There is research out there about pregnancy, breastfeeding, and Lupus flares, but seems to sometimes be limited to doctor availability, not mainstream press, like those web sites you have to be a doc and subscribe to. My doc has printed info off for me, which helped me in my decision-making. I did find some info online for you, which seems to be similar to the stuff my doc printed off for me ( I took out some of the extraneous info). Prolactin is a hormone created during breastfeeding and is referred to in this abstract, too:

Sex Hormones and Pregnancy in Rheumatoid Arthritis and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Trondheim, N-7006 Trondheim, Norway

ABSTRACT: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) are autoimmune disorders with a preponderance in females. RA and SLE differ in their response to sex hormones. Disease development of RA is mitigated by estrogen and pregnancy whereas SLE tends to flare during pregnancy and in response to estrogen. Pregnancy improves the symptoms of RA in about 75% of pregnant patients, but relapses within six months postpartum in 90% of cases. Prospective studies of SLE pregnancies indicate that about 50% of patients experience a flare, however, with no permanent aggravation of the disease. Lupus nephritis, presence of antiphospholipid antibodies, and a previous history of pregnancy loss increase the risk of complications during pregnancy and fetal loss. The marked increase of estrogen and progesterone during pregnancy seems to enhance some of the manifestations of SLE. Another factor stimulating immune responses is the pituitary hormone prolactin, which has been found elevated in SLE patients of both sexes and correlated to disease activity in several studies. The hyperprolactinemia of lactation seems to influence postpartum behavior of SLE as well as RA.
    Missy

Thanks

Default thanks

Thank you for the info Missy and Autumn! I will definitely be looking into it. Autumn, thank you for your concern. I have a deep respect for the medical field. I would be dead without modern technology, and my toddler probably wouldn't have made it either. I am in contact w/ my rheumie regularly and follow prescribed methods for coming off of drugs. We also keep vigilant tabs on my bloodwork and what it is doing. If there is ever any sign that lupus is attacking organs I won't hesitate to do what is necessary. At this point, however, my lupus is mainly in my joints so I'm working with pain and fatigue more than anything else. Because the amount of pain we handle can sometimes be in our hands, I feel I have room to experiment with other things that may help. I have refrained from talking about anything too much on here because I don't want to turn into a commercial and because lupus hits us all so differently. What works for me may not help someone else at all. The main thing that has helped me over the last month with fatigue, energy, pain, etc. is a nutritional juice. It hasn't rid me of the flare, but I feel so much better that I cope better with it, and I'm hoping that by being able to cope, my body will have a better chance of kicking it. I want others with lupus to try this and see if they feel any results. I'm not, and never would go against what anyone's doctor has said, or ask anyone to stop taking the medications prescribed. But I do think that this may help all around. I am choosing personally to not take the meds knowing that my rheumie is on hand as soon as I need her. So far I have been making it with 1-2 bad days a week and medium to good days the rest of the week! I'm calling that a success! Before I had 1-2 medium to good days. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can show you where to go to find more information before you decide if you want to take it or not. It is a whole food product so I don't think there would be any negative. The worst that could happen is that nothing happens, which hasn't been the case for me. My babies are everything to me. That's why I'm trying to find ways to get healthy. Support here is wonderful! I had no idea how much it would help to have emotional cheerleaders. I wish I had tapped into others sooner! Thanks to all of you!

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the info. I have been meeting with all of the doctors, the OBGYN, High risk OBGYN, Rheumy, and PCP and no one seems to have an answer too much. I guess there hasn't been enough research done... Best of luck with the new babies!!!

Thanks

Default hello again

I completely agree on not making this commercial but again this is a lupus site for other people with lupus it is helpful to have this information. I have joint problems as well I have to struggle to get out of bed some mornings, that I get up an hour before my kids do so I can "wake" my body up! Well anyways I didnt read any info on what that other person had to say about breastfeeding and pregnancy and lupus because it doesnt matter I am telling you what happened to me and whoever else wants to know what I personally have been through I have read about it and staudied it and came to the conclusion that it dosent matter I wanted my kids I had them against the docs will and breast fed them and came out of remission. so anyways its nice to talk to you about this its hard to find other people to talk to!!