Thread: Help Me Understand This Pain

Thanks

Default Help Me Understand This Pain

I'm having this pain that confuses me. I've had pericarditis a bunch of times (again recently.) The pain I've been having today (and yesterday) is different. I'm guessing pleurisy, but I'm not sure. It's on my left side, lower chest, under (around?) my ribs. Very, very sharp, stabbing pain - quite literally takes my breath away. It feels almost like a spasm of some kind. It's not particularly affected by taking a deep breath, and I seem to get them more when I'm sitting down than standing up. I called my rheumy and she suspects pleurisy, too, so she bumped up my prednisone (gee, what a surprise) again. How I hate this drug, but how I hope it helps. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like pleurisy? If it doesn't clear up in a day or two, of course I'll go in to the doc. But I was hoping someone who has a history of that might be able to help me understand it.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

My mother recently called me to tell me about sharp pain in that same area. Her doctor told her that it might be a kidney stone. He said that kidney stones often do not cause any symptoms. Usually, the first symptom of a kidney stone is the extreme pain, which begins suddenly when a stone moves in the urinary tract and blocks the flow of urine. The pain is usually a sharp, cramping pain in the back and side in the area of the kidney or in the lower abdomen. Sometimes nausea and vomiting occur. Later, the pain may spread to the groin.
    If it is not your heart or your lungs, you might want to ask your doctors to check your kidney function. I hope that you get some relief from the pain soon.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for the info - yikes! I wouldn't have thought of that. It IS better today, so I'm guessing it is pleurisy - I know that can come and go pretty quickly, and steroids can 'tame' it when it's autoimmune related. I will be sure to pay attention to the kidney stone idea if it comes back, though.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Look For The Good and Praise It!