Thread: oregano oil anyone?l help please...

Thanks

Default oregano oil anyone?l help please...

hi all! hope you all are having a comfortable day? got a questions... have any of you heard of oregano oil? it's an essential oil that's suppose to be really good for rheumatic and inflammatory diseases, along with a tone of other things. the info i've come across sounds great, but i wanted to check in with you all too. dear hubby was off prowling the internet looking for magic cures as he usually does whenever i'm in a bad flare or had a big seizure. he gets anxious and worried and "has to do something".

well, his aunt, whose very heavily into natropathy and alternative medicine, recommended this to him when we told her about this crazy rash i have. we thought it was another bout of shingles. but no, it's something else. it's really wird too. it a wave of little pimple like bumps, like mini shingles, it stings, itches and hurts. and they comes on quick!! it was concentrated in one area, but now it's spread. i called my other docs (rumy, neuro, pulmo, heart docs) and they all ruled out allergic reactions. and non of my meds or routines have changed. so i'm seeing a dermatologist today. but dh just came home with the oil just now, so i'm going to take it. i'm anxious/desperate too. i've been dealing with this crazy, itchy, stingy, painful rash for almost 2 weeks now!!! :shock: :cry: !!!!!!!

thanks everyone! be well
    www.princesstinybutt.blogspot.com

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is some information I found about Herbal remedies for Lupus. BUT..please remember that many herbal supplements can actually aggravate Lupus symptoms, so check with your doctor before you take anything!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Herbal Supplementation

Additional information (Precautions) is available by clicking on the underlined supplement.

Grapefruit Seed
    In test-tube studies and human trials, Grapefruit seed extract shows broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity. Studies indicate that grapefruit seed extract kills bacteria by disintegrating their membrane coat.(19)

Grapefruit seed extract inhibits the growth of H. pylori and C. jejuni, two bacteria that cause gastrointestinal ulcers.(20) By thwarting harmful micro-organisms in the gut, including Candida yeast, grapefruit seed extract helps maintain bowel integrity.(19) In one human study, an improvement in constipation, gas, abdominal distress, and night rest were noticed after four weeks of therapy with grape seed extract.

Astragalus
    The Chinese have valued astragalus for centuries as an herb that strengthens vitality and fortifies the body’s defenses against illness. Astragalus is classified by modern herbalists as an "adaptogen," an agent that helps the body adapt to stress. Studies show astragalus improves the body’s stress response by supporting the adrenal glands.(21, 22)

Experiments have reported that astragalus promotes regeneration of cells in the bronchials after viral infection. Astragalus demonstrates a range of immune-strengthening properties. Studies show active ingredients in the herb called polysaccharides improve function of "killer cells" and T-cells, two key components of the immune system. There is also reason to believe astragalus may improve resistance to colds and shorten the duration of a cold as well.(23) Due to a belief that it inhibits bone marrow depression, astragalus has been studied in patients with AIDS and cancer.(24, 25) Astragalus is claimed to protect against cell damage in the liver,(26, 27) improve oxygenation of the heart and blood vessels, and boost stamina and endurance.(28, 29)

Oregano
    Oregano has been used as a cooking spice and medicinal herb for centuries. Oregano oil is an old traditional remedy for respiratory disorders such as coughs, bronchial congestion, stomachache, arthritis, and urinary troubles.(30)

Oregano oil is now used as an antifungal and antibacterial agent in various conditions.(31) In one study, oil of oregano was given to 14 adult patients whose stools tested positive for intestinal parasites. After six weeks of supplementation with 600mg emulsified oil of oregano daily, there was complete disappearance of the parasites Entamoeba hartmanni (four cases), Endolimax nana (one case), and Blastocystis hominis in eight cases. Three more individuals had reductions of Blastocystis hominis. Gastrointestinal symptoms improved in 7 of the 11 patients who had tested positive for Blastocystis hominis.(32) Oregano oil contains thymol and carvacrol, two ingredients with reported antibacterial action.(33)

Oregano contains vitamin E and another natural antioxidant, the flavonoid "rosmarinic acid."(34) (Rosemary and basil are two other sources of rosmarinic acid.)

Rosmarinic acid is an inflammation reducer, comparable in strength to aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen.(35) Rosmarinic acid inhibits the body’s production of inflammation-causing substances called "leukotrienes" and "compliment proteins" while at the same time increasing production of "prostaglandin E2," which reduces inflammation. These properties make oregano and other supplements containing rosmarinic acid potential agents in inflammation, cancer, and immune disorders.(36, 37)

Oregano does contain naringin and naringenin, the chemical constituents contained in grapefruit juice that alter the metabolism of some drugs.(38)

Olive Leaf
    Olive trees are widely cultivated throughout the Mediterranean countries for its universally popular fruit. But olive trees have more to offer than just the olive and its delicious, healthful oil. The olive leaf has been used as a traditional medicine in health conditions including malaria, infections, cardiovascular diseases, and for improving general well being.(39) Olive leaf contains a key active ingredient called "oleuropein," that may have anti-viral properties, making it a potentially helpful herb in lupus. Oleuropein is also an anti-oxidant, which may give it a role in helping to prevent cardiovascular disease.(40)

Olive leaf extract has been reported to be an effective antimicrobial agent against a wide variety of disease causing bacteria, including Salmonella, Staph aureus, Klebsiella and E. coli. These organisms are some of the major causes in respiratory and intestinal infections.(41) Studies suggest that oleuropein is responsible for olive leaf's antimicrobial properties.(42, 43) Lab studies have found that oleuropein stimulates activity of immune cells called "macrophages" which serve as the body's garbage collectors to remove toxins and destroy forgeign organisms.(44)

Nearly forty years ago, researchers began testing a synthetic derivative of oleuropein called calcium elenolate as an anti-viral drug.(45, 46) Even though it showed strong anti-viral properties in the test tube, this was never followed up, as calcium elenolate was found to be inactivated by proteins in the blood. Clinicians are now reporting that natural olive leaf extracts are helpful as support in problems such as Crohn's disease.
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

thanks so much saysusie, as always! i appreciate your info. this is more concentrated and "non hype" like info than we've found. dearest hubby tends to be drawn to the pie in the sky remedies, sweet hopeful man!

be well
    http://princesstinybutt.blogspot.com