Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kidney problem symptoms

Thanks

Default kidney problem symptoms

what are the symptoms of kidney failure sumtimes my ankles get puffy and itchy but its not all the time and i urinate frequently and its usually a pale color im not even drinking any more then i normally do

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The symptoms of kidney failure are the result of a slow build-up of waste in the blood and the gradual failure of the kidneys' regulatory functions.
    Excess fluid builds up in the body because the failing kidneys are not producing enough urine. This can lead to a condition known as edema. This excess fluid causes symptoms such as swelling around the eyes, in the hands, ankles and feet. If excess fluid continues to accumulate, fluid overload can occur. Fluid can start to collect in the lungs, causing pulmonary edema.
    If you have fluid overload, your blood pressure will also increase. This is because your blood contains more water than normal, which increases the pressure on your blood vessels.
    When your kidneys are damaged, there will be a slow down in the production of the hormone erythropoeitin, this will mean that your body does not have enough red blood cells. This causes anemia, a common complication of kidney failure. If you don't have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen around your body, you will become weak, cold, tired, and short of breath.
    Since the symptoms of kidney failure appear slowly and over a long period of time, they can be easily overlooked, or thought to be normal responses to the stresses and strains of everyday life, or thought to be other symptoms of Lupus. This may delay a diagnosis and treatment and may increase the damage to the kidneys. If you really think that you are experiencing the symptoms of kidney failure that I've listed below, you should advised your doctor immediately:
    A metallic or other foreign taste in your mouth; Tiredness; Feeling cold;
    Headaches; High blood pressure; Insomnia; Itching and dryness of the skin; Loss of appetite or nausea; Pain in the small of the back in the area of the kidneys; Poor concentration, confusion, forgetfulness; Poor sex drive; Restless or cramped legs; Shortness of breath; swelling in the hands, feet, ankles or face (especially around the eyes, when you just wake up); Urination problems, such as foamy or bloody urine, more or less urine than usual, or a change in how often you urinate.

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further. Again, make sure that you let your doctor know if you are experiencing these symptoms.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

i have a few of the symptoms you lisited but i will wait and see what the blood and urine tests say

Thanks

I get that when I take over 25mg prednisilone. Another thing to consider. I hope you get some answers.

Thanks

Hi Icegurl,

I love your 'SIGN" that's hilarious!!! I had that kind of a day yesterday!!

Our wonderful administrator, Suze, gave you great information. I am near stage 4 in my kidney disease. - it's something you really need to keep on top of and watch closely.

REDUCE SALT.....REDUCE YOUR SALTE.....LIMIT YOUR PROTEIN....those are the two biggie's my doctor tells me ALL the time.

Drink LOTS OF WATER.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Default Foamy urine

I'm a little concerned as I have noticed this for quite a while, mostly in the mornings it actually looks like someone has put bubble bath in the toilet!!!! Does this mean there is extra protein in the urine or something????

Doc was a bit concerned last week because my esr was up also fibrinogen which could mean kidney involvement??? He faxed results to immuno but haven't heard anything yet so cant be that bad....... I hope??!!

Thanks

Mumma -

foamy pee can be an indicator of kidney problems, so hopefully your doc ordered a urine test, just to be sure. If not, you might call to ask them if you should get one done before your next appointment. I know when I was first diagnosed (Stage 4 Lupus Nephritis), my family doc seemed to have no idea about all this stuff, but the Rheumy ordered the correct tests and knew that foamy pee, increased urination, anemia, all are possible symptoms of kidney involvement.

I wish you the best!
    Missy

Thanks

Default Kidney problems

Hi everyone. I wanted to share our experiences. My wife is at stage 5 and her kidneys are almost gone.
    We underwent Chemotherapy last year and that did not work for her.However as a last resort the Dr's gave her Rituxan and it seems that that has slowed down the progression to failure. Her creating is hoevering around 6 for the past one and a half year now.
    If you should go to your dr, ask about possible treatment with Rituxan.

Wish everyone the best.

Thanks

Default Cytoxin??

Tropically- I was just wondering, the chemo that your wife underwent, was it cytoxin or another kind? I found out last year that I have SLE and was fine for about 10 months and then all of a sudden my doc's wanted to do a biopsy and they told me they needed to "aggressively treat" my kidney inflammation, so they pumped me full of 1000mg of prednisone and started me on chemo injections (cytoxin). He said that he wanted to do that for 6 months, but on my second injection last month i had an allergic reaction and ended up in the ER, I was in the hospital for a week and my doc says he still wants to give me the injections this month but w/ some xtra prednisone and benadryl--- I guess I was just wondering if she had any progress w/ the chemo, I'm really sick of being "normal" and then blowing up an extra 40-50lbs everytime they pump me full of steriods.

Thanks

Whitney - has your doctor mentioned anything about Cellcept? It has less side effects than Cytoxan and has been increasingly successful for a lot of people. However, I know there are a lot of doctors that stick with Cytoxan. I was fortunate enough to have my first Rheumy order Cellcept, which worked for me. After I moved, my new Nephrologist and Rheumy said they probably would have gone with Cytoxan without thinking of Cellcept, but are glad that I had already been prescribed Cellcept by another doctor. Currently, my Nephrologist has two new Lupus patients that they are trying Cellcept on first.

Good luck!
    Missy