Thread: skin's wierd and hurting

Thanks

Default skin's wierd and hurting

Does anyone know what it means when your skin hurts? Its wierd feeling and some places that hurt have a burning feel to it. It's the skin of lower back, arms, scalp and front upper legs. My hair roots hurt, making real hard to brush my hair. My clothes hurt to wear, even though I found the lightest things to put on. It hurts when someone barely taps me, or when my kids give a hug. Almost impossible to pick up my 1 yr old. I've had this happen before, but small patches at a time. This is the first its ever effected so much area at once. My muscles every where hurt, joints and relentless fatigue along with it this time. Before the small patches that were hurting would go away after a couple hours, this has been like this since yesterday. Should I call doc? I don't want him to think overreacting, or my luck it would be gone when I see him. Has this happen to anyone else? Does it just go away? I try to rest but it hurts my skin to sit or lay down. I feel like I'm going nuts, to top it off I have shooting pain in my legs and arms. As if this wasn't driving me crazy enough.
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It could be the development of Lupus Lesions. These lesions affects 70-80% of lupus patients at some point in their lives. Here is an article I found about the different ways that Lupus can affect the skin:

"Lupus can have systemic manifestations or cutaneous manifestations. Rheumatologists have developed a list of eleven criteria based on clinical observations and laboratory test results that are used to diagnose Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Of the eleven criteria, four are skin findings:
    Malar rash, Discoid lesions, Photosensitivity, Oral ulcers.
    Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus, or skin lupus, can exist with or without systemic manifestations. The most second most common initial presentation of lupus is a skin rash or other skin lesion—a clinical presentation that affects 70-80% of lupus patients at some point in their lives. Almost half of all lupus patients with a skin lesion will have some degree of debilitation or vocational handicap because of it.
    Skin Lesions Associated with Cutaneous LE

Rheumatologists have broken down cutaneous LE into specific and non-specific skin lesions. Specific skin lesions are those that are only associated with LE patients, whereas non-specific skin lesions could be found in patients with LE but could also be the result of another disease. LE specific lesions fall into one of three categories:Acute Cutaneous LE (ACLE) often presents as a “butterfly rash”. The butterfly rash has an abrupt onset and can last for hours or days, and usually heals without scarring. Typically, it is localized on the face, but it could occur anywhere on the body. Variations of this rash have been observed, including bullous formations or blisters. Systemic manifestations are common with ACLE.Subacute Cutaneous LE (SCLE) occurs in one of three forms: annular, psoriasiform, or a combination of each.

Annular, or ring-like, lesions commonly appear on the chest area but could also occur in other areas of the body. Symmetric in shape, these lesions are extremely sensitive to the sun but will heal without scarring. A large percentage of patients who have annular lesions will also have systemic findings.

Psoriasiform lesions are thick and scaly, similar in formation and appearance to psoriasis, and usually appear on the knees but could also develop in other areas of the body.

Chronic Cutaneous LE (CCLE) is the third main category of specific skin lesions in lupus. Under this umbrella are several sub-types, including: discoid, hypertrophic, lupus profundus, lupus tumidus, and chillblains.Discoid lupus (DLE) is the most common form of chronic cutaneous lupus. It typically begins as a sharply demarcated, scaly lesion that evolves into a larger scarring plaque with atrophy or loss of skin. Follicular involvement is a prominent feature, causing scales in follicles and hair loss. Ranging from mild to severe, DLE predominantly occurs on the head or neck, particularly on the scalp and around the ears, but can also occur on other areas on the body, including the inside of the mouth. Systemic manifestations can occur in some patients with DLE.Hypertrophic lupus (HLE) causes a raised bump similar to a wart and usually develops at sites of trauma.

Lupus profundus (LEP) is a deep dermal or subcutaneous nodule. The overlying skin may be attached to lesions but will usually heal without scarring. It typically affects the upper arms but may develop on the head, chest, or legs.

Lupus tumidus (LET) presents as indurated plaques (hardened patches) or broad lesions that are slow to heal. Less is known about this form of chronic cutaneous lupus, and physicians will often take a biopsy to find out if the lesion has the typical features of lupus lesions before making a diagnosis.

Chilblains lupus is associated with itchy, cold sensations in the extremities and toes as well as painful, dark red swelling.

There are many LE non-specific skin conditions as well. Some of the more common conditions are: Alopecia, or thinning hair.Telangiectasia are dilated blood vessels. Vasculitis is severe inflammation of blood vessels.
    Raynaud’s Phenomenon constricts the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose, causing these areas to become extremely cold. Unlike chilblains, Raynaud’s can cause permanent damage to the skin when left untreated."

Yes, you should contact your doctor in order to find out exactly what is causing your problem. Each condition above has a treatment that can alleviate some of the symptoms. I wish you the very best...
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I know skin can be effected, I had no idea that much. What still confuses me is you can't see anything wrong with my skin. My skin looks normal, I can feel but see nothing. Everything in the article you listed seems to show something on the skin (unless I missed something while reading it?). I tried a shower to see if that help, nope. No matter what temp I put it on, cool or warm, it hurt more. I've been a little light headed too. Since you can't see anything wrong with the skin, I'm afraid the docs going to think I've gone nuts or something. Could I have a pinched nerve? My hubby said thats what it probably was with the small patches of burning skin feel before. It doesn't even discolor or redden where the skin hurts. I really appriciate the info, it helped to learn of other skin problems that may occur. I'm still confused though, hope it just goes away as quickly as it came. I called doc, out until monday. Thanks again.
    Cheryl

Thanks

hi!

i also have the same burning/sensitive feeling on some parts of my skin, particularly a small patch on the inside of my left arm and somewhere near my left armpit.

this i observed for a couple of days last week, when i had the shingles. now that the shingle lesions are crusting, the burning patches went away eventually.

i'm not sure if it was because of the shingles (my rheumatologist says it affects the nerves), or it's because my skin is very thin now (because of steroid use).

i hope the burning sensation you feel goes away soon. but yes, i think it's best to tell your doctor. i felt that my doctor gets anxious everytime he sees me, because i always have this long list of questions for each consultation. but it keeps my mind at peace, so i don't hesitate to ask him.

take care, everyone!

Thanks

Thanks for your input. It up and went away a couple hours ago, yeah! Just happen to notice my clothes were not hurting to wear. Touched my skin and it didn't hurt, a little sensitive now though. If a rash or dry patches or something showed this would all make since. My skin still looks normal, so confusing :? . This has been the longest its ever lasted, 3 days. I'm writing it in my pain journal, so as I don't forget to tell doc. That way I can read it to him to make sure I describe it like when it was fresh in my mind. Thanks for the support, I've delt with new symptoms before but this was my strangest yet. Hope that doesn't happen again. God bless you all, may everyone get the much needed rest they deserve.
    Cheryl