Thread: Pleurisy

Thanks

Default Pleurisy

What does Pleurisy feel like? I am having pain on taking a deep breath but it is up high in my chest off to the left side. Could this be pleurisy. It also hurts when i breath deep when I am laying down.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Casper;
    Your pain could possible be from two conditions. You should explain your symptoms to your doctor so that a chest X-ray can be done (along with other tests) in order to determine exactly what is causing the pain. Here are two possibilities:
    1) Pleurisy: an inflammation of the membrane lining the lung. In some cases, fluid accumulates causing "Pleural Effusion" and this can cause a stabbing pain which is worse when you cough, sneeze, laugh or take a deep breath. The fluid in the chest takes away breathing space and causes pain and shortness of breath. 30 - 60% of those with Lupus suffer from pleurisy. The pain is generally localized in the area of the lungs. Pleurisy usually responds well to a short course of steroids.
    2) Pericarditis: an inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart. This pain is usually in the center of the chest at the front and is sometimes mistaken (by the patient) for a heart attack. The pain is usually constant for a period of time (does not worsen when taking a deep breath). Pericarditis rarely causes damage to the heart and the condition responds well to steroids.

I hope that I have been helpful. Let me know if you need more information!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie