Thread: Could i have Lupus?

Thanks

Default Could i have Lupus?

Hi everyone! My name is Sabrina, i am 25 yrs old.
    My mom, now 50, was diagnosed with Lupus when she was my current age.
    Well 5 years ago when i was pregnant with my son, i had many problems including unexplained blood in my urine, and without knowing my family history, the Dr. asked me to be tested for Lupus with the symptoms i was having he thought it was very possible.
    Well the results came back neg. Since thenI have had my gullbladder remover, i had a cyst on my ovary removed it was the size of a baseball and from what the dr says this type can keep coming back. Well those are probably normal things some women just go through....
    But as of last November i have been on and off work due to hand problems...tendonitis, trigger fingers things like that. I had surgery on my wrist for Dequirvains tendonitis and repeated therapy on my fingers. My fingers hurt ANYTIME i use them and now my other wrist is being affected and i was only back to work for a month.
    The surgeon (without knowing my family history) told me my symptoms sound like i have an inflammatory disease because normal triggering of the fingers are different, with mine the more i use them, the more they hurt!!!! Its so bad i could cry some days! So he went on to ask me if i have a history of inflammatory disease rheumatoid arthritis or LUPUS. I said yes my mom has both. So i was tested again...and negative again...Could i have it and it just not be showing up in my blood yet?
    I AM tired alot! I mean i can barely sit in church without almost falling asleep right there even though i had 8 hours of good sleep...
    I don't know, there has got to be an explanation
    Please help
    Thank you, Sabrina

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is possible to have the conventional antinuclear antibody tests be negative and still have Lupus. Usually, these patients have skin rashes and little in the way of generalized internal problems. The true number of such cases is obviously unknown. A lot depends on definition, but the agreed figure is probably quite small, 1% to 5% of lupus patients will have negative lab results, particularly negative ANA. So, there are patients who have lupus despite negative tests.
    However, it is possible that you could be suffering from one of many auto-immune disorders and doctors will usually test you in a process of elimination (test to see which ones you do not have) before a diagnosis is made. So, until that is done, no one can really tell you what you may or may not have :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

It is possible. I have read that lupus patients can have a negative test one day, and a positive the other. Another thing I read is that ANA levels go through flares and remission, too. The ANA level will show up, produce symptoms, and then sometimes dissapeer again, but you are still left with symptoms and sometimes negative blood work.
    In one book I read, one woman, who ended up having lupus, kept having negative blood work, everything was normal, and her doctor finally did the false syphillis test and something else, and those turned out to be positive.
    So, please don't give up if doctors cross out everything because of negative blood work. My blood tests so far haven't been postivive, my internist gave up on me, I went to my first rheumy, and after seeing my negative results, he still mentioned possibility of an autoimmune problem like lupus, and now I am getting more tests. So, don't let doctors give up on you. I would recommend, if you haven't already, to see a rheumatologist and go from there.
    Good luck and I hope you feel well!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gisèle
    It is possible. I have read that lupus patients can have a negative test one day, and a positive the other. Another thing I read is that ANA levels go through flares and remission, too. The ANA level will show up, produce symptoms, and then sometimes dissapeer again, but you are still left with symptoms and sometimes negative blood work.
    In one book I read, one woman, who ended up having lupus, kept having negative blood work, everything was normal, and her doctor finally did the false syphillis test and something else, and those turned out to be positive.
    So, please don't give up if doctors cross out everything because of negative blood work. My blood tests so far haven't been postivive, my internist gave up on me, I went to my first rheumy, and after seeing my negative results, he still mentioned possibility of an autoimmune problem like lupus, and now I am getting more tests. So, don't let doctors give up on you. I would recommend, if you haven't already, to see a rheumatologist and go from there.
    Good luck and I hope you feel well!
    Thank you so much i appreciate all of your help!
    I also have abrother who is 22, never been tested, but he is always run down and tired, and gets these rashes, not on his ace but on his lower stomach and i few other places. I think he should be tested as well.