Thread: doctors appointment

Thanks

Default doctors appointment

hi everyone well i had an appointment with a rheumy yesterday my 1st appt she said i might not have lupus i can have another autoimmune disease but shes not sure cause my ANA came back postive but theres no numbers with it what numbers are considered 2 be lupus? im almost positive that i have lupus can someone describe there symptoms 2 be how offten they get them and how long each of them lasts that would be greatly apreciated she also said that she cant make a diagnosis with out blood tests and a urinalysis and i havent gone 4 that yet and shes going out of town so i wont kno if i have lupus or not until a few weeks
    here are my symptoms
    headaches that last 4 hours
    sunlight sensitivity
    mouth sores that hurt
    joint pain
    thinning of my hair
    fatiuge especially in the sunlight

i shouldnt have 2 suffer with symtoms just because i havent beeen diagnoised

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are absolutely right! You should not have to suffer from symptoms because you have not been diagnosed. If your doctor feels that you are suffering from some form of auto-immune or connective tissue disorder, the treatments are essentially the same for the symptoms you describe.
    Perhaps you should ask (or insist that) your doctor prescribe treatment for your symptoms while she is testing you for diagnosis.
    It will be difficult for you to compare your symptoms with anyone else because no two persons suffer from their Lupus symptoms in the same way. Keep a record of your symptoms, when they occur, how long they last and the circumstances under which they occurred. This will help your doctor greatly in attempting to diagnose your symptoms.
    I wish you the very best!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I am glad to hear that you are making progress with doctors! With your symptoms, it does sound like something is going on, but like SaySusie said, no two lupus patients are alike. Regarding the symptoms: I had my first rheumy appt. a few days ago, and he ordered a lot of blood work, and I asked him before I left if there is anything that I can take to help in the meantime with my symptoms, and he said he doesn't want to prescribe anything or else it will mask the symptoms making it a lot harder to get to the bottom of this. I feel the same way as you about not having to suffer with symptoms despite a diagnosis, but I agree with my doctor about the masking of symptoms, and I certainly don't want that to happen. My doctor recommended Aleve for now(Aleve personally doesn't do anything for me), so maybe try that? Also, my advice is if the blood tests are inconclusive as to what autoimmune disease you could have, perhaps ask your doctor if she can start you on treatment for lupus as a diagnostic tool. Also, I'd ask her what else she is thinking it could be and research about them.
    Hang in there! I hope you are feeling well!

Thanks

thankyou for your advice would love 2 start treatment 4 lupus but unfortunatly i am afraid of the steriods and what it will do 2 be as i should of mentioned i have another condition called pcos where my testosterone is elevated more then it should be soit makes my periods all out of whack so i have 2 take birthcontrol pills 2 fix it and i dont think i can be on steriods and birth control pills at the same time

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Steroids, such as prednisone, don't affect hormonal birth control (hormonal steroids). However, being on hormonal contraceptives can sometimes increase the effectiveness of prednisone. If your doctor knows that you are on hormonal birth control, he may prescribe a smaller dose of cortico-steroids in order to decrease the possibility of adverse effects and any potential hazards.
    There are a lot of medications that prevent birth control from working, causing many women to become pregnant. You probably should be careful of contraceptive (synthetic) steroids if you are prescribed a synthetic steroid for Lupus. Your doctor should be made aware of the fact that you are taking a contraceptive steroid so that adjustments can be made on any prescribed steroid for your Lupus.
    Sex hormones are also steroids. The primary male hormone, testosterone, is responsible for the development of secondary sex characteristics. Two female sex hormones, progesterone and estrogen control the ovulation cycle. The male and female hormones have only slight differences in structures, but yet, they have very different physiological effects.
    Keep in mind, however, that hormone steroids (as in birth control) and corticosteroids (as in Prednisone) have two completely different functions. *Systemic corticosteroids (glucocorticoids) are synthetic derivatives of the natural steroid, cortisol, which is produced by the adrenal glands. Systemic steroids work in the same way as natural cortisol, and are prescribed for a large number of serious diseases.
    Natural cortisol has important effects in the body, including regulation of:
    Protein, carbohydrate, lipid and nucleic acid metabolism, Inflammation and immune response, distribution and excretion of water and solutes
    Secretion of adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) from the pituitary gland.
    *Sex hormones are a group of steroid hormones produced by the adrenal cortex. Estrogens and progesterone are referred to as female sex hormones, androgens as male sex hormones. Hormones that are produced in the gonads and promoted development and maintainence of the secondary sex characteristics and structures, prepare the female for pregnancy, and aid in development of gametes. Males produce testosterone, while females produce estrogen and progesterone. Female sex hormones are responsible for normal menstruation and the development of secondary female characteristics.
    Prednisone is a steroid that blocks inflammation of an allergic reaction. Prednisone puts down the body's response to the allergen (the cause of the allergy) and reduces swelling, redness, itching, and other symptoms of allergy. It also reduces the body's ability to fight infection. Prednisone decreases inflammation by preventing white blood cells from completing an inflammatory reaction. Prednisone may act together with anticancer drugs in helping to control the effects of the disease on the body, such as Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
    Progesterone was found to be effective as a contraceptive in preventing pregnancies in the 1930's. The synthesis of similar but slightly different steroids as mimics to the natural steroids led to the development of the oral contraceptives. Oral contraceptives contain synthetic derivatives of the female sex hormones, progesterone and estrogen. These synthetic hormones prevent ovulation and thus prevent pregnancy. The two synthetic hormones in the "pill" deceive the body into thinking it is pregnant. A high level of progesterone is maintained which inhibits secretions of FSH and LH. The result is that no new egg follicles are developed and no ovulation occurs.

I hope this has been helpful!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

just one more question can people with lupus get pregnant? even with inviro or other ferility drugs