Thread: My Old "Friend" Pericarditis Returns

Thanks

Default My Old "Friend" Pericarditis Returns

I've been ignoring (or trying to, anyway) some persistent pain and pressure in my chest; increasing fatigue; rashes, etc. I've been tapering down on prednisone (was down to 5mg!!) But it all came crashing down this week. It's clearly pericarditis again - saw my rheumy today. Up goes the prednisone and now I'm on cellcept. I was on imuran, but probably not an adequate dose. I'm not able to tolerate a larger dose of imuran (makes my liver function tests a problem) so now we're trying cellcept. I feel like I just lost 6 months of improvement. I just broke down and cried in her office - I think I made her feel badly - but she was understanding. So, it's back to the doctor every month again; blood tests every two weeks for a while to monitor how my body accepts the cellcept. This coupled with my new friend, fibromyalgia, is enough to make me pull the covers over my head and just stay there.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Default cellcept

I hope this goes through
    Hang in there kid
    I thought cellcept was fairly mild
    a little bit more nausea
    heres a pic of a bad day from the web

my puters is acting up, I hope you get this, keep your chin up
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Thanks, Teriod - you really made me laugh! How in the world do you get your cat to stay in the shower without being clawed to pieces?! :shock: Our little dear kitties would go ballistic! (They only have back claws, but they can do a lot of damage anyway!)

I'm hanging in there. No sense getting discouraged - then the lupus wins, right? I just have to adjust my expectations a little. Thanks for you support!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

not me , not my cat, I would be way too afraid to try anything like that, I would be torn to ribbons
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Default Re: My Old "Friend" Pericarditis Returns

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    I've been ignoring (or trying to, anyway) some persistent pain and pressure in my chest; increasing fatigue; rashes, etc. I've been tapering down on prednisone (was down to 5mg!!) But it all came crashing down this week. It's clearly pericarditis again - saw my rheumy today. Up goes the prednisone and now I'm on cellcept. I was on imuran, but probably not an adequate dose. I'm not able to tolerate a larger dose of imuran (makes my liver function tests a problem) so now we're trying cellcept. I feel like I just lost 6 months of improvement. I just broke down and cried in her office - I think I made her feel badly - but she was understanding. So, it's back to the doctor every month again; blood tests every two weeks for a while to monitor how my body accepts the cellcept. This coupled with my new friend, fibromyalgia, is enough to make me pull the covers over my head and just stay there.

Jody
    I'm so sorry Jody. I can relate. I'm sure most of us on here can. The main reason I'm responding to your specific post is because I think I have Pericarditis. Twice this month (while sleeping) I've had this pain in my chest. I almost don't want to call it pain because it's not like I want to say"ouch." But it's an uncomfortable pressure. Anyway, that was just really really briefly during my sleep. It woke me up. Well, yesterday, I had the same pain/pressure and it was like "ouch this hurts." It was in the middle of my chest and just kinda took my breath away. Can you tell me more about your Pericarditis and how it feels?

Thanks

Hi, WantItGone. Probably the most identifiable thing about pericarditis is that it generally hurts more if you lay down and it feels better when you lean forward. It can hurt from your chest right up into your throat, and through to your back. If it's severe, the doctors can usually hear the rubbing when they listen to your chest. When mine was bad, I could 'hear' it myself - actually, it was just the sensation of it, not really the sound of it. It's easy to mistake it for other things (like a heart attack, which is what we were afraid was happening.) It's rarely a serious problem, although it is very painful. But the thing that can be serious is if fluid builds up in the pericardium. It can constrict the heart, and that's bad. If there's enough fluid, they'll want to extract it.

If your pain continues, you're going to have to get it checked out. Hope it turns out to be nothing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mnjodette
    Hi, WantItGone. Probably the most identifiable thing about pericarditis is that it generally hurts more if you lay down and it feels better when you lean forward. It can hurt from your chest right up into your throat, and through to your back. If it's severe, the doctors can usually hear the rubbing when they listen to your chest. When mine was bad, I could 'hear' it myself - actually, it was just the sensation of it, not really the sound of it. It's easy to mistake it for other things (like a heart attack, which is what we were afraid was happening.) It's rarely a serious problem, although it is very painful. But the thing that can be serious is if fluid builds up in the pericardium. It can constrict the heart, and that's bad. If there's enough fluid, they'll want to extract it.

If your pain continues, you're going to have to get it checked out. Hope it turns out to be nothing!
    I just love this site. Reading your explanation just makes me sure that's exactly what's happening. It is better when I lean forward and the first two times, it happened when I was lying down. You hit the nail on the head. . . us being afraid of what's happening. I was in the car the 2nd to last time I experienced this pain. I started to cry but like I explained to my brother, I don't think I was crying because of the pain. . . I was just scared. It's a really scary thing to know there's a possibility of your organs being attacked and to have a new sudden pain. Omg, I think I made it worse panicking. I don't know. This is a very difficult disease to deal with. I try really hard not to panic when I have a new symptom but it's hard. I had a rash on my chest up to my neck a couple weeks ago. I noticed it while driving. I almost ran into the car in front of me looking at the rash in the mirror. I panicked then thinking it was lupus related. It went away within the hour but it scared me. Thanks for your help!

Thanks

gentle hugs, and I hope it gets better quickly.

Oh that CAT photo cracked me up TERIOD! :lol: I feel like that some days.........

Thanks

Glad to help, WantItGone. I know how much it helps to get the perspective of someone who is living with these symptoms. It IS scary, isn't it? Just when you think you know what to expect, something new happens. The folks on this board are always helpful to me when I'm not sure what's happening. Of course, you have to rely on your doctor for a final diagnosis. Don't take any chances with chest pain...much too risky. Hope you're doing better.