Thread: Financial question regarding survival

Thanks

Default Financial question regarding survival

Hello. I am a new member.
    I wonder if anyone can share ideas/experiences as to how lupus patients survive financially on only Social Security Disability if they have no family to help them out.

Thanks

I beleieve that if one is making under a certain amount they can ALSO apply for SSI. MOST utility compaines,gas elec,phone etc...all offer discounted rates for people making under a certain amt...which I'm sure you are if that's all you're getting right now. IF you were in the service you can also recieve some benefits from them. I would suggest going to your STATE REPRESENTATIVE and talk with him/her they would know every possible program that would be available to you and can cut all the RED tape and m,ake it happen real quick. You can also ....if you feel well enough to do so....work part time on Social Security...to find out the guidlines for that go to www.ssa.gov
    PLEASE do NOT let the stigma attached to being on Social Security...keep you from getting any and all monies available to you,it may be humbling to apply for some of these programs...but if it makes ends meet for you than who cares??? AS long as you have enough to continue to live at the same level you were prior to your disability. I hope this message finds you well and helps a bit.

stjames

i was lucky as I had a pension from both my job and the military.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stjames13:
    I beleieve that if one is making under a certain amount they can ALSO apply for SSI. MOST utility compaines,gas elec,phone etc...all offer discounted rates for people making under a certain amt...which I'm sure you are if that's all you're getting right now. IF you were in the service you can also recieve some benefits from them. I would suggest going to your STATE REPRESENTATIVE and talk with him/her they would know every possible program that would be available to you and can cut all the RED tape and m,ake it happen real quick. You can also ....if you feel well enough to do so....work part time on Social Security...to find out the guidlines for that go to www.ssa.gov
    PLEASE do NOT let the stigma attached to being on Social Security...keep you from getting any and all monies available to you,it may be humbling to apply for some of these programs...but if it makes ends meet for you than who cares??? AS long as you have enough to continue to live at the same level you were prior to your disability. I hope this message finds you well and helps a bit.

stjames

i was lucky as I had a pension from both my job and the military.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks

Thank you for replying.
    Unfortunately I make "too much" money from my Social Security Disability income-although it puts me at poverty level-to qualify for SSI.
    I know I can earn up to a certain amount by working part-time. It's a question of, am I well enough, and where would I go?
    The new Federal job training program, "Ticket to Work", won't start in my state until 2003.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ally;
    If you tell me what state you live in, I can direct you to some Lupus foundations who offer immediate emergency grants to individuals who are experiencing financial problems and are diagnosed with Lupus.

Saysusie

Thanks

Saysusie,
    Thans for replying.
    I live in Texas.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ally;
    Check the following web-sites, they offer financial assitance for persons with Lupus and/or information regarding free medication etc. www.doroughlupusfoundation.org
    www.nichcy.org/pubs/otherpub/adttxt.html
    www.disabilityrights.org

Unfortunately, I was not able to find many such services in Texas. I did the following Lupus foundations in Texas, perhaps they will have more information about financial assistance for Lupus patients:
    LFA El Paso
    1401 Montana Ave, Ste "L"
    El Paso, TX 79902 (915) 751-6941

LFA N. Texas Chapter
    14465 Webb Chapel, Ste 206
    Dallas, TX 75234 ((972) 484-0503

LFA Texas Gulf Coast
    3730 Kirby Dr., Ste 720
    Houston, TX 77098

LFA So. Central Texas
    9330 Corporate Dr. #606
    Selma, Tx 77814 (210) 651-9480

LFA West Texas
    1717 Avenue "K", Ste 127
    Lubbock, TX 79401 (806) 744-6666

I hope that you are able to find some help! Best wishes and please, no matter what happens in your life, remember to take care of yourself because you are loved :-)
    Saysusie

Thanks

Ally, a few things to consider:

See if you're eligible for section 8 housing. Sometimes there's a long waiting list to get in, but once you do, your rent is much lower. You won't even have to live in "the projects" if you don't want to -- cities have section 8 housing all over the place so you can choose a neighborhood that makes you feel safe.

If you don't already have it, apply for medicaid. Some states automatically give it to you when you qualify for disability but some states force you to apply for it separately. Medicaid sure makes a big difference when facing medical bills!

Ask at local agencies and see if you qualify for food programs. The amount of food stamps a person can recieve is now severely limited so should be saved for emergencies, but there are other food programs that may be available to you. I get free government cheese, rice and beans at certain points during the year, free bread weeky from the Salvation Army and a box of canned and shelf-stable food six times per year from the Salvation Army.

It's difficult to live on disability but it can be done. I'm fortunate enough to live in a part of the country with a very low cost of living so I live very well on only $545/month. When I lived in a place with twice the cost of living and my SSI was about forty dollars less I still lived well but I had a roommate to help defray costs.

I know it's hard to do when you're exhausted all the time and dealing with medical stuff all the time, but put on your thinking cap, get creative and ask questions of every government agency and helping organization you can think of and you will be able to make ends meet.

Best wishes.