Thread: How long until meds start kicking in?

Thanks

Default How long until meds start kicking in?

Been on Plaquenil for about 5 days I think. just wonderin how long before they start to help?

Ta,

Kaz

Thanks

Hi Kaz,

I would say from my own personal experience; I noticed a difference at 3 months. At 6 months, I had a little larger of a window if I was in Sun. Did your dr. refer you to an optomestrist for a baseline before beginning Plaquenil? It is highly suggested you have your eyes checked every six months after your initial baseline. Because of the Plaquenil; most insurance companies will cover the exams; you are responsible for the copay. You might want to check with your insurance to see what their procedure is.

I originally had a couple of side-effects from the Plaquenil; but noticed it was better if I immediately took it after eating a meal. Side-effects went away.

If you have any other questions; don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Faith :P

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The majority of patients find that it may take between 8 to 12 weeks for the disease to respond to Plaquenil. Often you will be given other medications when you start hydroxychloroquine so that you will improve more quickly. Plaquenil is a drug that has to be built up in your body, but one of the attractions of this medication is its long ‘half-life’ – it stays in the system for days & weeks. Many lupus patients find they benefit best from Plaquenil by staying on a ‘long term – low dose regime’.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!