Thread: stiff neck

Thanks

Default stiff neck

Hi everyone
    I'm just wondering if anyone has had their neck affected by lupus. About a week ago it suddenly got so stiff and painful that I couldn't turn my head either way. I figured I slept on it wrong and waited for it to abate. The weird thing is that it comes and goes. I actually feel best in the morning if I slept at all whereas all my other lupus symptoms are much much worse in the morning. By about noon I usually can't look either direction again without concentrating on moving very slowly. Should I be worried about getting to a doctor with this or just figure it is part of the lupus flare that I've been in for the last 3 months?
    any thoughts appreciated
    Thanks
    Lars

Thanks

I have read that there are joints in your neck. One is called pivot joints and I think they can become inflamed(like all other joints) and cause pain and stiffness. So maybe it is joint stiffness from lupus?
    Also, perhaps try to sleep differently or use a different pillow. Heating pad might help. I know having a stiff neck hurts and is worrying, so of course see a doctor(maybe ask your rheumy if this is normal) if it keeps continuing and lupus meds aren't helping.
    I hope you feel better soon!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Gisele. A stiff neck may be nothing to be concerned about. However, recurring stiff neck could indicate some very severe conditions such as meningitis or meningococcal disease (or other infectious diseases). Also, as Gisele suggested, you could be suffering from a neck muscle disorder as a result of arthritic inflammation caused by Lupus. In either case, it is advisable that you talk to your doctor about this.
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi
    I have chronic stiff neck problems that also come and go. I have heard that its not lupus related b/c there are no synovial tissues in the neck or spine - so technically you need that for lupus joint inflammation. If the weather isvery damp and cold, I find it gets worse. I get the same thing where I can hardly turn my head in either direction. Oh its so irritating! I use a majic bag (microwavable hot pack) often. It helps and I have found robaxacet or a tylenol with muscle relaxer to be helpful. Its brutal though because it just comes and goes and unlike lupus joint paint, there doesn't seem to be much to do but wait.....All the best, if you get to the bottom of it, please let us know...
    Karen

PS - I have just started seeing a chiropractor and since then my neck has been fine (too soon though to know if its the chiro).