Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on Disability?

Thanks

Default Anyone on Disability?

So I have all of the technical information and I've been talking to my HR department about my options for short term disability. I've talked to a lot of people about the actual process of getting disability, but I'm wondering if anyone here has been through it?

I spent an hour crying yesterday. I've been very emotional since my husband and I decided it was time to attempt to get short term disability. I just can't drag myself in anymore. It is too painful and I spend all of my free time resting to get the energy to go back to work. I don't know if I will get approved, but I have to try. This going in circles is just not working. So if you are on disability, what was your experience like? Were you bedridden for months before getting it, or were you more like me were you just couldn't do the work anymore? Some days I feel like I'm just giving up, but honestly in the past few days I've started to feel physically better because I'm not putting the work strain on my body...Comments?
    AB

Thanks

Librarian, I'm in Human Resources. It sounds like you're doing the right things... talking about short term disability at this point - probably coverec by FMLA. As you're a Librarian, I don't need to rehash where to find information on the DOL website about FMLA - you've probably been there. You do have rights under the Act, as you know, to up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period of protected leave.

Be prepared to have your rheumy fill out the Certification for Healthcare providers, and be ready to show that you need the time off. I'm sure your rheumy is familiar with the forms - they've been around many years now.

A couple weeks of solid rest may help you immensely - Oluwa talked about diet and rest in her other post to you - I do just about the same things, only I add a flax supplement -

2T fresh ground flax
    1 t each turmeric, ginger, cocoa powder
    1/4 t cinnamon.

mix with water, OJ, applesauce, honey, whatever tastes best to you. It is high in antiinflamatories, omegas and does tend to help me. I really can tell if I've gone without for a few days....

You may find you need to change your schedule - is part time an option? Having a day off in the middle of the week may allow you the rest that you need in order to have a work life and a home life.

If you find that isn't enough, work with your HR to transition from STD/FMLA to LTD if your organization has it.

Many gentle hugs, dear.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default FMLA

I have had to fill out the FMLA for my job last year, but now they are asking me to do it again, and I am not sure why. all the paperwork that was filled out the first time says that the condition is cronic, which should tell them that not much is changing for the better. is this normal? will I have to get these forms filled out every few months?

Thanks

I don't know about short term disability, but i did just start the process with a lawyer 2 weeks ago for full disability, so i completely understand how awful it is to even think of yourself as disabled. It took me months of thinking about the pro's and con's and i finally decided that it would be completely selfish of me not to apply because I am unable to work because of the lupus and my husband is left providing for me and our 2 yr. old daughter all by himself. I live in Colorado and I know that Lupus is on the approved list of qualifying diseases for this state. The lawyer told me that the process can take up to twelve months but they back pay from the date that you first applied. So I wish you luck and if you need anyone to talk to I'd love to conversate with someone else who understands!
    I'm 24 years old, married, with a 24 month old daughter. I just got diagnosed with Lupus about 9 months ago. I'm just looking to find friends that understand what I'm going though that won't get tired of hearing about my illness!

Thanks

I have my phone interview tomorrow.

Thanks

Good luck NoodleMom. I just wanted to stop in for a second and let you guys know that I'm here and reading your posts. I've been in a bit of a struggle with my work place regarding FML & Short-term disability and some other issues, so I'm not posting much right now, but I'm here. You can always PM me if you want and I will get back to you. I hope you are all well and you are all in my thoughts. Thank you all for responding. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ashley
    AB

Thanks

I have disability. I kept trying to work. First , a 3 days a week, then 1/2 time interrupted by many days off for illness. When I applied for full benefits the amount of money was based on the last 5 quarters (none of which were full time). At my hearing the judge told me I should have just stopped working and would have received twice what I finally got. In this case being a good doobie and maybe trying to deny the full extent of my impairment ended up costing me (literally and figuratively) a lot. Think carefully about the possibilities and good luck.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm afraid that's where I am now, too, Katinar. I've been working part time for over a year now, trying to keep my hand in. But as time goes on, I'm really thinking that I should NOT be spending what energy I have working (I'm 57 years old - I could retire, for cryin' out loud!) But, now that I've been working part time, if I try to get disability, it won't amount to much. So, I'm just going to keep working until I feel like I can't anymore. Who knows? Maybe I'll go into remission and go back to full time again.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I just wanted to wish you all well. It was 3 years ago that I finally had to give in to my illness. I pushed and pushed for so long that my body just went into collapse. If I had it to do over again I would have given up about a year and a half sooner. If you wait until you physically cannot go in at all you risk losing your job due to absenses and impaired performance. If you choose to go before your body completely fails you then you have shame and guilt to deal with. Eitherway it is a hard decision.

Do not feel guilty if you feel better on disability. That means your body needed to rest to function and you are doing the right thing.

PJ

Thanks

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays! I'm waiting for my husband to get ready to go to my inlaws and I saw that there were new posts! I just wanted to update everyone. I'm on Family Medical Leave waiting for State Short-Term Disability to kick in. I'm still not sure whether to apply for long term federal/SS benefits. It is so hard to separate everything that was going on right before I stopped working (November 7) I was being harassed by my boss and the job I interviewed for turned out to be a complete fabrication. I have a master's degree and I ended up doing office assistant work. It was miserable. So it is difficult to say whether my declining health came from working (period) or if it came from the combination of working a job I didn't want and being harassed at that job. I'm still torn. Has anyone tried working from home? I'm trying to find work from home now...

AB
    AB