Thread: extractable nuclear antigen

Thanks

Default extractable nuclear antigen

This test was run on me last week and was the reason I was diagnosed with Lupus. "Extractable nuclear antigen" ? Has anyone else had this test done?

My understanding is that this is to evaluate whether or not you have the ssa/ro, ssb/la, ds dna or rnp, or sm antibodies. I've been trying to read up on this, but I'm confused. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks a million and have a wonderful day!
    jen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mazdagirl;
    You are correct, the test is used to help confirm the diagnosis of an autoimmune disease; it distinguishes between the antibodies that are associated with autoimmune disorders(Disease in which the immune system produces antibodies that attack the body's own tissues); It is used to screen for antibodies which are common in "mixed-connective-tissue diseases" (Disease affecting the entire body characterized by the combined symptoms of various collagen diseases. Symptoms may include joint pain, inflammation of muscles, non-deforming arthritis and swollen hands. May also affect esophagus and lungs. Treatment often includes administration of corticosteroids); It is used to support the diagnosis of collagen vascular autoimmune diseases (such as Lupus) and it is used to monitor your response to certain treatment methods.
    Test results are determined by "differential double immunoassays."( here is a website to explain this test: http://www.dpcweb.com,/documents/new...e-testing.html.
    Normal Values are:
    * Negative for ribonucleoprotein (RNP) (A macromolecular complex containing both protein and RNA molecules)
    *Negative for anti-Smith antigen (anti-SM) (This is antibody to a ribonuclear protein antigen. It is associated with central nervous system involvement and nephritis in SLE)
    * Negative for Sjogren's antigen (SS-B) (Anti-La/SS-B autoantibodies were described originally as precipitating autoantibodies in sera of Sjogren's Syndrome patients and referred to as SjT.(1) A precipitating antibody with the same properties was rediscovered later and termed La and then SS-B. Anti-La/SS-B precipitating antibodies are most commonly found in Sjogren's Syndrome and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). The presence of autoantibodies against the La/SS-B antigen has been advocated as a diagnostic aid in Sjogren's Syndrome patients (6). Autoantibodies against La/SS-B are also commonly found in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Subacute Cutaneous Lupus.
    WHAT ABNORMAL VALUES MAY MEAN:
    * Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    * Sjogren's Disease (this syndrome is a chronic disease in which white blood cells attack the moisture-producing glands. The symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth, but it is a systemic disease, affecting many organs and may cause fatigue. It is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders, striking as many as four million Americans).
    Here are the components for Extractable Nuclear Antigen Antibodies:
    RNP (ENA) Antibody - less than 20 units = None detected; 20-49 units = inconclusive; 50 units = Positive

Smith (ENA) ANtibody - less than 20 units -=None detected; 20-49 units= inclonclusive; 50 units= positive

SSA (Ro) (ENA) Antibody (autoantiobdy against acidic nuclear ribonucleoproteins [RNP] found is 40% of all Lupus patients) - same values as above

SSB (La) (ENA) ANtibody ( another antibody against acidic ribonucleoproteins) - same values as above

Scl-70 (Scleroderma) (ENA) - same values as above

I hope that I have been able to answer your questions about this test! Let me know if you need mor explanation or more information.
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

My new Rheumy (I recently moved) gave me a "lupus flow sheet" that he uses and has ordered me to get copies of my lab work every month. It's basically like a spreadsheet with headings of the tests most frequently done - that way you can write in the values and track them over time in order to see trends or catch anything your doctor might miss.

Sounded to me that you, Mazdagirl, might be someone who would like that, too, so thought I'd tell you about it.

Missy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Missy;
    What a great idea.....Maybe even if our doctors are not caring enough to give us a lupus flow sheet - we might be able to make our own to track our results, levels etc. If we ask for our lab results, they have to give them to us!!
    I think that the flow sheet is a great tool for each of us. Thanks so much for sharing that information!!

:lol:
    Saysusie