Thread: Retired too early 50 y.o. man

Thanks

Default Retired too early 50 y.o. man

I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and had to quit work back in June. I had planned on retiring before I was 55, but this was not exactly the way I had in mind. When my rheumotologist said SLE, I said what is that. I wasn't real sure what it was. Now that it has my ass kicked, I know what it is. I am a 50 y.o. man and used to work 6 days a week from bell to bell. Now it is everything I can do to walk about a mile a couple of times a week.

Thanks

Welcome, carlilescott. I'm sorry to hear you had to retire early - and hope you're conditions will improve.

Hope you'll find some support on this board - one wonderful thing is that we all understand the ups and downs of this crazy condition.

Thanks

Welcome Carlilescott,

I've never been to Missouri...

With retiring earlier than planned hopefully it can have some benefits too that you will find. I am learning to find my way too, what to do despite being limited. Being fulfilled...productive...accomodating the illness. It can be a struggle...so seek out support. Here, at home...doctors.

Here you will find wonderful people, men, woman, and youths..Ideas to make life easier. How to handle the everyday obstacle course of life with Lupus. Resources. All in one spot.

Family? Children? Grandchildren?

How are those walks? Wildlife, red and orange trees? City blocks or trails? Are you enjoying them?

It is Tuesday, and how has your day been. I'm hoping it is a really really good day for you Carlilescott.

Welcome again,
    Oluwa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Carlilescott;
    I, also, retired at age 50 in part because of my Lupus. Retiring that young does not give one much of a monthly stipend does it??? I think that at age 50, I retired at only 30% of my income
    I am happy to hear that you are attempting to walk a mile 2-3 times per week. I am a firm believer in exercising in order to help our bodies stay on top of this disease. Please continue to exercise regularly, to the best of your ability.
    We are here to help you in any way that we can. You will find that there is always someone here when you need us!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default You asked

I was just looking on the Men's Forum and there has not been anyone there in a while.

But to fill in a few holes, here goes.

I have been married for 22 years. I have 3 kids and my wife has 2 kids and between them all we also have 8 grandchildren and find out on the 1st of November the sex of the 9th grandchild.

The kids are 2 girls and 3 boys. The grandkids are, have to think about this one a second, chemo brain and all.... 5 girls and 3 boys. And I thank God everyone of them are healthy.

The hardest thing to deal with the last couple of months has been not doing much of anything. getting lots and lots of sleep and being completely worn out some days.

My wife has been my pillar. I wish I could do so much for her now more than ever. She has put up with so much over the last 3 years.

Besides me getting sick, before that she had to tell people she was married to a car salesman. Can you imagine?
    Scotty

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Scotty
    I think that car salesmen get a bad rap! There is nothing wrong with being married to a car salesman :lol:
    The fatigue is something that we all must deal with and have to learn how to pace our bodies. Actually, I think we all talk a good game on that aspect (especially me). I am always doling out advice about pacing oneself, getting adequate rest, not doing more than you should, blah blah blah.....and so what do I do??? On a day when my aches and pains are relatively minor..I go out and move furniture, weed the yard, hang curtains, dust and polish and vacuum the entire house!! So, here I am now...in bed paying for the fact that I did not heed my own advice! :lol:
    Anyway, it is important to pace yourself and try not to overdo. It is equally important to get adequate rest and recuperative sleep. The fatigue never really goes away, we just have to learn how to make the most of it. On those days when you just cannot move...don't move! It is no reflection on you at all, or on your abilities! If your disease is active and you cannot be at your best, don't put yourself down! With Lupus, if your body says you cannot...don't try to force it to! You will only aggravate the disease.
    You are fortunate to have such a wonderful family as well as a supportive spouse. Educate her while you are educating yourself and in that way, you and she can work as a team to help you manage your Lupus! You are truly blessed in so many ways.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!