Thread: undiagnosed

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default undiagnosed

I am still waiting for lab results and an MRI. I have been tired for years, anemic for years and had achy joints for years. I would joke with my friends that I was a young girl trapped in an old persons body. That is how I feel. Headaches, cold sensations in my left leg,chest pains, activity induced asthma, stiff right hand,neck and ankles. Trouble is i am a nurse and it is really started to interfer with my job. After working a few hours my hip and back are killing me. It takes two days to recover from one 12 hour shift. I wondering how long will i be able to do my job. How many of you still work and if so how long have you had symptoms. I am worried. Oh I also have high blood pressure, a slightly enlarged heart and i just started an antidepressant. My husband is in Iraq and I have been alone raising the three kids for the most part. It doesn't seem fair.

Thanks

Hi Tehale,

When is your follow-up appointment to get your results of the labs? Did you see a rhumy? Did the doctor give you any idea for a diagnosis? I know, it's very frustrating. Hang in there and don't think too far ahead. I would get the follow-up apptmt, and always ask for a copy of your labs in case you get a 2nd opinion.

Can you work less hours than a 12 hour shift? Can you transfer or look for another position that has less hours? Maybe as a travel nurse or school nurse? A position that would be less physically demanding; and still allow you to earn a living?

It can't be easy raising three kids by yourself! I am very thankful I have my husband to help me out when I am not feeling so great. Mm, I have a lot of respect for you and your husband. Are your parents close or in-laws that could help you a couple of nights a week? Just an idea? It sounds like you are under a lot of stress at work and home. It can't be easy.

As far as continuing to work; everyone is very different depending on diagnosis or diagnoses, coping skills, etc. My diagnosis was originally dle which transferred to dle and sle. I react to sunlight and fluorescent lights and I don't leave the house without UV clothing covered from head to toe. One year later, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I knew the pain was not Lupus; it was a different type of pain, hot shooting pain down the lower back to the buttocks to legs. Lupus kicks butt in the Summer, and Fibromyalgia kicks butt Summer and Winter. I have chronic fatigue, and Lupus fog along with the usual joint pain, GERD, costochrondritis, etc.

I would highly suggest Dr. Daniel Wallace's book Lupus (check on amazon) if your labs come back and the dr. states you have Lupus. Three months after diagnosis, my dr. suggested I work part-time in order to take naps and get proper rest.

Life is an adventure with Lupus; you never know what is next. Take one day at a time; one breath at a time. Keep us posted on how everything turns out with MRI.

I hope you are having a better day.

Take care,

Faith 8)

Thanks

Default From one newbie to another Hi! :)

You sound like a very strong and capable lady but it's hard to stay on top all the time so be kind to yourself, don't be afraid to ask for help and take time out (the mess will still be there waiting when you get back).

I am a single mum of seven and some days I just do the necessities at home as I work as well.

Welcome.

Thanks

Thanks Ladies, I don't have a rumy yet. I have a follow up apt on the 30th ot this month with the Doctor who suspects Rheumatoid Arthritis or lupus. He is a spine orthopedic doctor. My PCM refered me to him due to my ongoing complaints of back and hip pain( over two years). I am almost certian I have Lupus after reading the signs and symptoms. I have had brain fog for the last 7yrs (after I had my first child). Back pain for the last 10-12 yrs, hip pain last two years, right hand stiffness and cool sensations on my right side, no rashes but bad acne these last 6yrs. Memory and consentration are shot. I used to say I will sleep when I die, i currntly sleep a lot and I am usually so tired. I am always tired. Oh and lets not forget the chest pain on the right side of my chest. So if the doctor confirms this I will breath a sigh of releif that I am not crazy and these things are not made up they exist and they are happening to me. For a long time I kept telling myself I was being to dramatic and I was just working to hard and needed to take it easy. If I am told it is not lupus i don't know what to think. Oh my orthopedic doctor told me it looks like I have arthritis at the base of my spine. This was at the appt where he suggested further investigation into my blood work.

Thanks

Hi Tehale,

Always remember, you are never alone. You can come here and everyone on this board will listen; we have all been there or are going there. You are not crazy; we have all been there too.

On this board under newly diagnosed I believe, the moderator listed the labs necessary for Lupus. I would see a rhumy right away; take a copy of present lab results and MRI. Rhumy's deal with all the Lupus related issues and are more familiar with it than a primary or orthopedic dr. You might feel better and have more confidence. Get your additional labs and a diagnosis so you know what you need to fight, and can take a deep breath and relax.

Chest pain on the right side; mmm. There are so many other issues that appear with Lupus. I think it is really important to see a rhumy; and it will give you some peace of mind. Once you have a firm diagnosis; see your primary. For extreme and chronic tiredness, Provigil helps though you do have to have a pre-authorization from your dr. for insurance to pay for it.

Please let us know how everything turns out. There is so many other issues that can arise when you have Lupus and/or another auto-immune disease. If you have Lupus, you have a 60% chance of getting another auto-immune disease, i.e. Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's, etc. Check around and see if you can get into a rhumy; he can help you with further complications, and you don't feel like your "crazy." Seven years is too long to not have a diagnosis. ops:

I hope you are feeling better. Can you transfer to another less stressful position or check into a position as a school nurse? This would be less physically demanding on you. Mmm, just something to think about. You sound very strong. I will be thinking of you.

Take care,

Faith 8)