Thread: Can I take Sudafed PE or SOMETHING?!

Thanks

Default Can I take Sudafed PE or SOMETHING?!

I'm on Plaquenil and I am coming down with something horrible. My throat is killing me and my head hurts and my chest is hurting ( I don't have a cough so I'm not sure why) but I feel like I'm going to get a fever too.

What is safe to take and what's not? It's too late to call my doctor

Thanks

I'm on plaquenil and prednisone and I've been told Tylenol products, but that may be due to my kidney disease.

Thanks

that you CAN or CAN'T take them? I know I was told to avoid Tylenol or motrin, I can't remember though.

Thanks

Hi Miranda,

Can you call your/a pharmacy? I would hate to lead you astray. This is the only drug interactions I had found on the Internet...

If Plaquenil is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Plaquenil with the following:

Any medication that may cause liver damage
    Aurothioglucose
    Cimetidine
    Digoxin

Sudafed is drying and will probably just make you drowsy.

If you were told to avoid Tylenol or Motrin they would be for two different reasons, depending on you current prescriptions and health. GERD? Ulcers? Prescriptions already with acetaminophen, usually a pain killer? Kidney involvement?

Hope this helps...
    And hope you feel better,
    Oluwa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi;
    The chances are that you were told to avoid Motrin (or any Ibuprofen product). The use of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and medications like ibuprofen in treating lupus is done with caution. Ibuprofen and similar drugs can harm kidney function, especially in people who already have kidney problems. In addition, ibuprofen and related agents can rarely cause inflammation of the lining of the brain resulting in a severe headache!
    Tylenol is Acetaminophen and those are generally safe for people with Lupus. Here is a breakdown of the various over-the-counter pain relievers:
    Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen are different substances whose desired effects (and drawbacks) are very different.
    Pain Reliever: Aspirin; Over-the-counter brands: Bayer, Bufferin - aspirin reacts with our blood chemistry to inhibit the enzyme cyclooxygenase, which in turns limits the volume of prostaglandins. It's rough on the upper digestive tract (can cause upset stomach, heartburn, and even dyspepsia), it's bad for hemophiliacs (because it's an anticoagulant), and it's not always safe for kids (because it's linked to Reye's syndrome).
    Pain Reliever: Ibuprofen; Over-the-counter brands: Motrin, Advil - Ibuprofen is chemically similar to regular aspirin and functions in an similar way, minimizing the production of prostaglandins, though it accomplishes this with slightly different chemical reactions. Ibuprofen is different from aspirin because in lower doses, ibuprofen seems to irritate the esophagus and stomach lining less than aspirin and naproxen. Ibuprofen is good for pain which results from inflammation.
    Pain Reliever: Naproxen
    Over-the-counter brands: Aleve - naproxen is very effective as an anti-inflammatory agent. The other difference between naproxen is that it tends to last longer than similar medications; often for 8-12 hours instead of 4-8 hours.
    Pain Reliever: Acetaminophen (sometimes called paracetamol)
    Over-the-counter brands: Tylenol - acetaminophen.
    This pain reliever lowers fevers and soothes headaches effectively, but it is NOT an anti-inflammatory substance. It has a milder effect on the upper digestive tract and it is less irritating to the lining of the stomach, making it the best headache treatment for people with acid reflux disease, ulcers, and the like. Acetaminophen is also safer for hemophiliacs and children than aspirin and its friends. There are various kinds of acetaminophen on the market, so be sure to see what else it's partnered with and whether drowsiness may result from the combo. However, because its usual dosage for pain relief and its overdose amount are not that different, doctors always will tell you to exercise caution when using it.

I hope that this was helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!