Thread: Vitamin D and Pain!!!

Thanks

Default Vitamin D and Pain!!!

I am really peeved that in the 6 years I've had lupus my "expert" of a doctor never thought to check my vitamin D levels. My GP suggested it b/c Lupus patients avoid the sun and therefore are likely to be low since the majority of vitamin D we get comes from sunlight.

Normal levels are between 50-100, new studies think that it needs to be closer to 100 for women (did you know it's actually a hormone!?) 12 is considered drasticly low and mine was the lowest my doc had ever seen, a 9!

Doctors have always known that vit D is important for bone strength and health but there is tons of info coming out now suggesting that low vit D levels can cause depression, insomnia and serious musculo-skeletal pain. Look around on the internet, it's mind blowing how detrimental lack of vit D can be.

I've been on 5000mg capsule of vitamn D for about 3 weeks and about a week ago I started waking up feeling better every morning, noticible and progressivly better which is somewhat shocking when you have lupus right! My mood has improved, PMS decreased, overall pain is down 20-30%, and oddly I seem to have an increase in libido. The doctor said it would take 8 weeks to feel the full effect and get levels built back up, I'm even sleeping better, longer, waking up less and best of all waking up feeling kinda good (usually when I wake up it's the worst I feel).

I find myself inadvertantly missing doses of my ultracet and needing a little bit less meds each day. It's by no means a miracle cure but for something that doesn't really have any side effects and isn't a drug it's pretty impressive.

Get your vit D checked in your next blood test! You never know.
    Hope this helps

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I guess it depends on the doctor huh? My doctor has always insisted that I take vitamin "D" specifically because of the sun issue with Lupus patients. However, I did not know that low levels of vitamin "D" caused all of those symptoms (especially depression)! That is good information.
    Thank you for sharing this with us because I would bet that there are many doctors who have not mentioned this to their Lupus patients and we certainly have to be proactive in our care!
    Again...thanks for the "need-to-know" information!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I heard today (on Oprah...where else, huh?) about Vitamin D3 and how important it is in combating fatigue. I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Is this the same as Vitamin D? The websites I've found are a bit confusing - titles that refer to Vitamin D3, but articles that refer to it simple as Vitamin D.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble prohormones, the two major forms of which are vitamin D2 (or ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (or cholecalciferol).Vitamin D3 is produced in skin exposed to sunlight, specifically ultraviolet B radiation. Vitamin D plays an important role in the maintenance of the organ systems.

Chemically, the various forms of vitamin D are secosteroids; i.e. broken-open steroids. The structural difference between vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 is in their side chains. The side chain of D2 contains a double bond between carbons 22 and 23, and a methyl group on carbon 24.

Vitamin D2 is derived from fungal and plant sources, and is not produced by the human body. Vitamin D3 is derived from animal sources and is made in the skin when 7-dehydrocholesterol reacts with UVB ultraviolet light at wavelengths between 270290 nm. These wavelengths are present in sunlight at sea level when the sun is more than 45 above the horizon, or when the UV index is greater than 3. At this solar elevation, which occurs daily within the tropics, daily during the spring and summer seasons in temperate regions, and almost never within the arctic circles, adequate amounts of vitamin D3 can be made in the skin only after ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen. With longer exposure to UVB rays, an equilibrium is achieved in the skin, and the vitamin simply degrades as fast as it is generated. Unfortunately for those of us with Lupus, we cannot expose ourselves to the UV rays for that amount of time. So, we are advised to take the Vitamin D3 supplement.

In most mammals, including humans, D3 is more effective than D2 at increasing the levels of vitamin D hormone in circulation; D3 is at least 3-fold, and likely closer to 10-fold, more potent than D2. However, in some species, such as rats, vitamin D2 is more effective than D3. Both vitamin D2 and D3 are used for human nutritional supplementation, and pharmaceutical forms include calcitriol (1alpha, 5-dihydroxycholecalciferol), doxercalciferol and calcipotriene. Not many bottles are actually labeled Vitamin D3, so sometimes you have to look for the above pharmaceutical names.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!