Thread: Hives

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hives

About 2 years ago, I was tested for Lupus and it came out negative. The reason for the test was to eliminate a possible cause for my hives.

The Hives disappeared (as they seem wont to do) leaving me puzzled. After a few weeks of research with no new information (changing detergents, trial-by-error diet, animal allergies, and stress management), I left the subject alone.

The Hives have returned and I will again be tested for Lupus, but my research is more indepth (becuase I am older?) and I have stumbled upon something curious regarding diet.

(The only item new to my diet prior to this onset of hives was soy. I quickly eliminated the soy and waited for the hives to disappear, but the soy (?) seemed to have triggered something in my system.)

According to one diet perspective of alkaline vs. acid pH balance in the blood, my diet is atypically high in alkaline foods. Can anyone give me insight to this? Also, as a test, I drank coffee and the hives went away for the duration that the coffee was in my body. (I have tried this with caffeine colas, but with not the same result). This is curious as coffee is something to avoid.

Because I have been experimenting with food, I have stayed mostly clear of allergy pills. However, when I tested a number allergy pills, none relieved the itching or the wheals.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks so much in advance for any leads for more info.

Thanks

Have you gone to an allergist and been tested for food allergies? This seems like the best place to start - it's hard to just monitor and cut out. Another resource might be contacting Naturopath's in your area - just make sure they have been practicing a long time & graduated from a reputable college, like Bastyr. My experience is that ND's tend to have more education in nutrition than MD's (and I used to work in a Social Service/Nutrition Program) and usually give you a free first consultation to give you some ideas as to what their ideas might be. My Naturopth (and I've talked to several others that feel the same way) recommend a gluten-free diet for lupus sufferers, as many people have had success with this. I'm just trying to cut back, to start, because I LOVE all food!

Good luck - defining allergies/sensitivities seem to be a hard process to start.

Missy

Thanks

Soy definitely makes me flare---I thought it affects my thyroid (have hypothyroidism as well) but even when I am euthyroid it makes the arthritis, tendinitis worse..soy is a bad allergen I think.

the coffe thinks makes sense-- caffeine works like mini-epinephrine- anti-allergic.

I didn't know about the gluten free diet--maybe I should try that....but if meat makes me worse( and it does), dairy makes me worse, soy makes me worse--what on earth will I eat?...granted I should loose 30 pounds :roll:

Thanks

Heavenorvegas,

That's funny - what will you eat? At one point, I had to severely limit all protein (including dairy) for my kidneys, sugars & starches, as Prednisone was causing some hyperglycemia, and was considering the low to no gluten thing. My nurse practitioner actually said, "Do you like butter?" when I told her it was hard to limit starchy vegetables. So, it turned into a joke with a friend that my diet would consist of butter on lettuce. You could try that! :lol:

Good luck - I don't think I could live with out at least decaf coffee!

Missy

Thanks

I have come to the same conclusion .Ive had hives for a long time and have gone through a process with doctors much like yours. quickly i lost my patience with doctors and decided to live with it. but about a month after i gave up i found that coffee greatly reduces/gets rid of my hives despite all the warnings to avoid it. I drink a cup every 12 hours. Good luck! (please excuse any misspellings, i am diagnosed dyslexic)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

welcome becker,
    glad you found us.

Thanks

I also suffer from chronic hives and have found coffee is helpful, but I don't understand why. I keep reading that most peoples diets have too much acid, and rarely too much alkaline.

Is this a lupus thing? Do we eliminate too much acid? I'm just curious. I can't seem to find any information about this connection.

Thanks for your help,
    Brenda