Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a lupus headache?

Thanks

Default What is a lupus headache?

I get migraines, have sufferered with them since I've been about 12 or so, and know what they are like. I get the classic migraines, with the visual aura that comes before the one sided head pain Been to doctors and was diagnosed as having classic migraines.

Thank goodness I only get them once in awhile.

But I get other headaches off an on and they FEEL electrical in nature. So hard to explain the pain, but it feels like jolts. It'll mostly start from the top back of my head and zing to the front...OUCH...and then go away and then happen again off and on, hour after hour...the pain will slice in every two minutes or so. Sometimes it'll just stay and I'll end up having to take pain medication to get it down to a dull roar. Have been to doctors for these headaches, but no one can figure out what they are from.

Anyone familiar with this type of headache?

Thanks

Default Lupus Headaches?

:cry: I have the same kind of headaches!! No one can seem to figure out what is causing them! It is like 2 or 3 jolts at a time and it drives me crazy!! I also suffer from Migraines and you are right these jolting headaches are different.

Thanks

Default headaches.

I get the same kind of headaches...though I've never had a diagnosis on them. That's a good way of describing them though.

Thanks

I too get these headaches. They do feel like that. great description! I use a frozen ice pack directly on the skin. It numbs it pretty good. :!:

Thanks

Default I know the Feeling

I have had the same issues. I was diagnosed with "occipital neuralgia" and I have been describing the same pains to my doctor's for years. They are these sharp shooting jolting pains in my head that no one can explain. The doctors before finding out that I had lupus had been telling me that it was because I had nerves damaged in my head as a result of two car accidents that I was in. Obviously they were wrong. Initially, they thought that I had migraines but I don't have any of those symptoms like light, sound, and smell sensitivity. If my pain level gets high enough though, I do usually have nausea and my scalp becomes hypersensitive as well to the point that the weight of my hair hurts my scalp.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but I hope it helps. :idea:

Taura

Thanks

Default I know the Feeling

I have had the same issues. I was diagnosed with "occipital neuralgia" and I have been describing the same pains to my doctor's for years. They are these sharp shooting jolting pains in my head that no one can explain. The doctors before finding out that I had lupus had been telling me that it was because I had nerves damaged in my head as a result of two car accidents that I was in. Obviously they were wrong. Initially, they thought that I had migraines but I don't have any of those symptoms like light, sound, and smell sensitivity. If my pain level gets high enough though, I do usually have nausea and my scalp becomes hypersensitive as well to the point that the weight of my hair hurts my scalp.

Taura

Thanks

I sure understand about the hair thing. It hurts so bad, it doesn't even help to lay down because the pillow hurts my head. That is why I try to numb it first. I see a new neuroligist in a few days. Maybe he'll know something.

Thanks

Default Wrong sensation

Quote Originally Posted by taurab22 View Post

Taura
    I'm pretty late kn asking this but you said you have a problem with your scalp hurting. Do you also feel the response to a touch or something like it in a different place. For instance; if you touch the back right side of you scalp but the feeling registers in a completely different spot?

Thanks

Count me in on both types of headaches. Lately the headaches are my worst symptom. I blame being back at work and whenever I get fatigued they hit! Sometimes caffeine helps me sadly with the migraine type headaches though some physicians say to stay away from it. I do find if I catch it early enough combined with the other meds I am on, I can sometimes just get the nausea and continuous ache in my head instead of blinding pain....Anyone else like caffeine when desperate to stay at work, etc when one hits. The electrical ones, I have no idea what helps...I usually grab my head where it hurts. I too get "hair headaches" as I have come to call them where any pressure ie hair accessories, hat, hand, etc...hurts.

Thanks

Interesting old thread. I've had the shooting pains since I was in my early 20s. My doc told me then they were a form of migraine. Another doc said they were a woman's type of cluster headache. For me they seem to be associated with posture (that is, the position of my head and neck) and therefore I do believe they are neurological so neuralgia seems more likely. I can touch the area where the pain occurs and it feels sore to the touch. They are short-lived but often scary for that few seconds that they flash through my head. When I first started having them I thought maybe I was stroking out at all of 20 years old. Of course, now that I'm 47, I know that they won't kill me. They just hurt. Thankfully, thus far, they don't last long enough to ruin the day.

Hair bands are known to trigger headaches so best not to use them. I use claws these days which don't pull the hair as tight. Hair bands and snug hats cinch off the vessels. Not good for those of us prone to headaches.

My migraines are under control with topamax. It's been a wonder drug for me. Minor side effects for me but it's not for everyone.