Thread: Mother has lupus

Thanks

Default Mother has lupus

My Mom was diagnosed with Lupus about a year ago.Her Dr says he has given her all the meds he knows to give her,He sent her to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fl and they said her dr was on the right track,But the problem is she is in pain every single day!!She aches all over,she has a hard time walking,and she's tired all the time.I understand this goes along with lupus but is there an option for some kind of relief?The only time she has ever felt ok is when she was taking Presnisone when she was first diagnosed.Is there some kind of pain med or something any ones knows of?Any and all help will be appreciated.Thank yo

Thanks

I take it she's not on the steroids right now then. Maybe she could use a low dose for her pain?

Right now I'm on 10 mg and trying to ween down. I'd rather be pain free than dealing with pain on a daily basis. Though I have to say, some of my pain is busting through I've been in a flare now going on four months. We tried cellcept but it made me sick. I was getting really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. Had to stop it. My rheumy has cancelled on me twice now and I am patiently awaiting another appointment with her.

Good luck

Lisa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It would be helpful if we know what medications your mother was taking in order to help you to know what else might be available for her. As Misslisa said, she might need to be put on a low dose of steroids (such as Prednisone).
    Medications often are prescribed based upon which organ(s) are involved, and the severity of involvement. However, the commonly prescribed medications for treating Lupus include:

Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) These drugs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen, are usually recommended for muscle and joint pain, and arthritis.

Acetaminophen A mild analgesic used for pain, such as Tylenol.

Corticosteroids Synthetically produced corticosteroids, such as Prednisone, are used to reduce inflammation and suppress activity of the immune system.

Antimalarials These drugs, such as Plaquenil, are prescribed for skin and joint symptoms of lupus. It may take months before these drugs demonstrate a beneficial effect.

Immunomodulating Drugs These drugs, such as Imuran and Cytoxan, act in a similar manner to the corticosteroid drugs in that they suppress inflammation and tend to suppress the immune system.

Biologic Drugs These drugs include agents that block the production of specific antibodies, like those against DNA, or agents that act to suppress the manufacture of antibodies through other mechanisms.

Perhaps your mother can discuss these treatments with her doctor based upon her symptoms to see which, if any, would benefit her.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!