Thread: Different Severities of Pleurisy?

Thanks

Default Different Severities of Pleurisy?

I have a question for anyone out there who suffers from pleurisy. I have looked up the symptoms so I know what they are but I was wondering how often it happens or how long it lasts? Also are there different levels of severity of it?
    I am doing very well now and it hasn't happened for a long time but I remember several times in the past year having the exact pain that corresponds to pleurisy. I just recently looked it up when someone said it sounded like pleurisy. I have never mentioned it to my doctor before because it didn't happen that often.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bubba89;
    How long pleurisy lasts depends on its cause. For example, pleurisy caused by pleurodynia may come and go over a few days. In rare cases, a person with pleurodynia may have several episodes of pleuritic chest pain over several weeks before the illness finally goes away. In patients with bacterial pneumonia or rheumatic fever, pleurisy typically goes away when the infection is cured with antibiotics. In patients with lung cancer or connective tissue disease (like Lupus), the chest pain of pleurisy may persist for even longer periods.
    Perhaps someone else will have more detailed information for you!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Pluerisy

I've been fighting pluerisy for nearly a year now. Some days it will be better, other days it is very severe. I was on prednisone for awhile but it just stopped helping, so with the help of my doctor I was weaned off of it. Now I carry an inhaler day to day, just for when it gets so bad and I am out and about doing something. Otherwise I have just accepted it as another pain (like the arthritis or fibromyalgia) that is just constant in my life. When I saw the lung doctor about it, he told me having pluerisy (not from lupus) was hard enough to treat, but that having it be lupus related was "nearly impossible" and that I was "stuck between a rock and a hard place...good luck."

Thanks

Default Pleurisy

I got pleurisy while/after having pneumonia three times in a row. It lasted on and off (mostly on) for two years and finally abated last Feb. Now it is very intermittent and short lasting.