Thread: Sun Question

Thanks

Default Sun Question

Is my understanding true that the sun can cause a flare?

I don't seem to be photosensitive at least in the way that I understand photosensitive to be. I tan easily, no rashes other than maybe my face.

I'm a gardener! How could I not be in the sun?? Ack!

Can you have problems with the sun without having noticeable problems with the sun- if that makes any sense...

thanks again
    Wren

Thanks

Hi Wren,

Yes, the sun and flourescent lights can cause diskoid lupus (rash on exposed part of body) if you have DLE; and it can cause a flare. Flares effect different people in different ways, and it changes the longer you have the disease. I also noticed I get overheated more easily than I used to.

I have had achy joints, to muscles in legs locked up and painful to walk, not being able to walk for 2-3 days after sun exposure, and chest pain (pluerisy). Everyone has a different reaction. Are you on any meds?

Plaquenil really helps though you have to get a baseline eye exam prior to beginning to take the med, and then every 6 mos have your eyes checked. Some insurances will cover the exams due to the medical illness; you might only be responsible for the co-payment. Check with your insurance company.

Another option is to purchase Coolibar clothing and hats to protect yourself, or any type of nylon clothing. Coolibar is having a huge sale on it's website. Nylon is uv protectant; and I would definately invest in a uv protectant hat if you have a rash on your face.

Take care,

Faith

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

As Faith stated, our flares are as different as the disease is for each of us. Some people get very bad rashes due to the sun and their lesions worsen. Some people feel extreme fatigue, nausea and increased joint and muscle pain. Your flare will depend upon the severity of your disease. The unnoticeable problems might be the fatigue, the muscle soreness, the joint stiffness, etc. All flares do not represent themselves as something that can be seen, they may be something that is felt!
    Do take precautions when you are in the sun. Faith gave you some good suggestions. Don't forget to wear a hat, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen with a minimum of 30SPF!
    :lol:
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Wren, that's exactly what I was wondering. I'm outside alot with my kids and plants. My face reddens a little, but thats it skin wise. Thanks for posting that, it helped bring that to my attention. I was told yes and no if you have no skin reaction. Thanks all for your info.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Well I found this great (or terrible) website (i'm too new to post links) and it tells you which sunblocks work the best and which are the most healthy for you.

The terrible part is that you start looking up all your bath products and you realize how many toxins are really in the stuff we use.

So, I think I found a good sunscreen that is tolerable to my obsessive ingredient checking.

I am not so ill. I can generally walk around alright, though the fatigue can be somewhat intense and I have what i think is moderate arthritis most of the time in nearly all of my joints. I am definitely feeling wary of the sun and I want to be protected, but I don't want to go insane you know...

I feel like I've got some good sunscreen, I have a hat- In the winter I'm mostly covered up all the time so that's alright, In the summer is sunblock enough? Should I pick up some UV resistant clothes or is that overkill? I do not think I'm terribly sun affected... in the sense of extreme immediate flares of symptoms and rashes.

Do most people get UV hats??