Thread: What should I expect?

Thanks

Default What should I expect?

Ok, I know that I can't really "expect" anything from Lupus because it affects everyone differently, but, I am still very curious about it. I haven't been diagnosed yet... but I have been on Plaquenil 200mg 2x/day for almost 5 months now. After 5 years of constant pain, fatigue, migraines 2x/week, and a variety of other symptoms, I am finally feeling "normal". I have very mild pain now, a very mild malar rash (which is the same as it was before starting on Plaquenil), migraines less than once a month, and am still fatigued but not like before.

So, I guess my main question is, does Lupus get progressively worse or does it just depend on the person? I am a nursing student and at the end of the last school year I was seriously considering dropping out. I was just in too much pain to continue, and I felt like I was losing my mind. I was foggy at times, unable to remember what I was doing or where I put things. I just wasn't functioning well at school or anywhere. But now that the medication has kicked in, I am really excited to continue in school. I really love nursing but I am worried that if the disease progresses that I won't be able to be in such a physically demanding job. Not only that, but the fogginess I was experiencing just isn't a safe thing for my patients.

Seems like everyone had a hard time getting a diagnosis... so I'm really just waiting and waiting... arrggg.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

As you've noted, Lupus affects each of us differently. So, there is not way to tell you what you might expect. It is not a given that your Lupus will progress. It does not progress in everyone. If you continue to take your medications, take the proper precautions, make the appropriate lifestyle changes, eat healthy and exercise, you may be able to keep your Lupus in its present state for a very long time. You will also have to pay very close attention to your body so that if you notice new symptoms or if your current symptoms worse, you can let you doctor know and start treatment immediately! Do not over-exert yourself and do continue to take care of yourself.
    Even when symptoms are minimal, I always suggest that we continue to take care of ourselves as if our symptoms were active.
    If you are feeling relatively healthy now, I do not see any reason why you should not continue with school. Your goal is to maintain your current level of wellness and to make sure that you do nothing to aggravate or exacerbate your symptoms!
    I wish you the best of luck!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

We all seem to have different experiences with Lupus, though you're bound to find people here that have had similar symptoms, and maybe even similar progression of the disease. That's part of why it's so nice to "chat" here. There are people who understand. Each of us seems to react to medications differently, as well.

I wish you the best with nursing school. I had wanted to be a Nurse Practitioner originally, but with how things ended up, it seems it was fate that I didn't. But, I'm very happy with what I'm doing now in my life. Good luck!
    Missy