Thread: vasculitis and heat

Thanks

Default vasculitis and heat

Hi,
    Can vasculitis get worse with heat from heaters or hot water bottles? The rheumie said it was vasculitis, but I have noticed although it is not a perfect fit- it seems to be worse where I use hot water bottles (on my front, legs, torso). It is spreading to other areas- but I'm just wondering if anyone else finds this?

I did ask if it was heat rash and they said no it was a peticeal rash etc. :? It has been spreading for months- although it is getting better now that I am on the prednisilone.
    Thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The immune system has a lot to do with the tissue damage caused by vasculitis. The immune system becomes "hyperactive" in Lupus and in vasculitis and this leads to the inflammation within you body’s tissues. In Vasculitis, the inflammation in the blood vessel walls leads to narrowing of those vessels. It would seem to follow that heat might, indeed, aggravate the inflammation that occurs and could result in even more tissue damage in those areas.
    If heat is relieving some of your symptoms, maybe you should try alternating between heat and cold in order to hopefully minimize the damage.
    Maybe someone will have more information that I do on this subject. Otherwise, I hope I've helped you at least a little

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

The doctors never saw any real scientific relationship, but before the plaquenil my vasculitis was always worse with heat. If I wore jeans on a hot summer day, I was guaranteed to have it all over my legs from top to bottom. If I wore crops only down to my knees (where ventilation essentially stopped?) It took a while to figure out this relationship, but there definitely was one.
    AB

Thanks

I knew I wasn't crazy :mrgreen:

What Saysusie said makes sense. If you had a swollen sprained (inflammed) ankle- you wouldn't put heat on it. It would make it worse.

I'm not at the point of using cold packs- but I'm trying to avoid overheating the areas (eg hot showers/baths, wheat bags/hot water bottles.

I used the wheat bag for one night and it all came back . I'm coming off the prednisilone as well so I guess I have to be more careful.