Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaquenil and Hypoglycemia

Thanks

Yes. One needs to watch for this if you know you are already hypoglycemic to some degree. My experience was with chloroquine which is the same class of drug but just a bit stronger. It tipped me right over the cliff to a very scarey episode.

I was switched from hydroxychloroquine to chloroquine when this happened. I was already chronically moderately hypoglycemic to begin with. Suddenly, my BP dropped, body temp dropped, heart rate soared, and glucose plummeted. After stopping chloroquine, everything normalized after five days of touch and go with high protein high fat and frequent snacks. Sugar was of no help since my body just over-reacted sending everything further out of whack.

End of story: I still take hydroxychloroquine but have my chronic hypoglycemia treated. Works fine for me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumsy613 For This Useful Post:

Eileen (07-15-2013), Peridot20_Gem (06-29-2011)

Thanks

You've stated a good thing there because i've got megolablastic Anaemia and take folic acid tablets and B12 Jab's for life and i'm on 200mg of plaquenil daily and it's my second time round with it but it's been ok this time refering side affects but i am getting where my system is crying for my B12 Jab in the 2nd week of the 2nd month and i'm very low at the moment and weak.

So it does make you wonder it's best to keep an eye on it more.

Terry xxx

Thanks

I have been on Plaquenil for quite a few years for Rheumatoid Arthritis, of which the the Dr. says never shows in blood test, must have at one time, that is why my GP sent me to a Rheumy, for joint pain started over 8 years ago, bruise easy, get up 2-4 nightly to urinate, I started having rashes 7 years ago when I had been in the sun, didn't know why, noticed a year or so later being in the sun brings it on. This year has not been bad only 2 rashes! I have gone through years of achy joints, very tired, weak, ill feeling, depression, dry eyes and mouth, brittle hair and nails this past year Anyway last year I found out I have a multi nodular goiter, my Endocrinologist thinks I may have Hashimotos, but just wants to keep an eye on it, which means he checks my thyroid levels every six months, wow, way to keep an eye on it I had been extremely tired and very strange feeling the last few weeks so had my blood levels tested on my thyroid by my GP since I was in having an infection looked at anyway, told my blood sugar was very low , had to go for a 4 hr. glucose test, found out I am hypoglycemic. GP suggests I go to a Diabetic dietician, $180 an hr, my insurance doesn't pay. I told the nurse to tell the Dr. I will look on the internet on what I should do, and to call with suggestions. Now I think I will call on Mon. and ask if they could send the report to my Rheumy and my Endo. Dr.
    I believe it does have to do with my thyroid and possibly my Plaquenil, and ask for them to look into the reason for my hypoglycemia, instead of just treating my symptoms. Thanks for listening to me. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Peace be with you,(stress doesn't help
    Laura

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

welcome laura,
    i do not have any suggestions, but wanted to welcome you anyway.

this forum appears to be slower on weekends.
    someone will be along to help answer your questions, but maybe on monday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

laurad52 (08-28-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Laura,

Steve is correct. We are less active on the weekends in general and now with the storm on the east coast it is especially quiet. What you are dealing with is very common. Many times we get the diagnosis of one AI disease and over time it is found out that we have several of them. It is what we call overlapping diseases. It is also common for our blood work to fluctuate. That is one of the reasons it is often difficult to diagnose them. I understand your frustration and fear but you have dealt with it this far and you will keep doing so. Just know that we are here for you as you travel down this path.

Keep us posted
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Thank you tgal,

I am treating myself for hypoglycemia, no simple carbs.,have complex carbs. which is hard since I love sweets and I work at Panera Bread who makes wonderful bakery items It is a standing joke amongst my friends and I that I only go to showers and weddings for the cake! I have noticed in just a few days that I haven't been getting the headaches, and that if I don't have something to eat at least every couple hours I get shaky. I have stopped the Paquenil. Many times I feel like what will happen next, I know I should not stress, it only makes my health worse, but my mind goes there sometimes. I repeat to myself that all we have is this moment and don't worry about tomorrow, I have enough on my plate for today. It just gets so tiring when I don't have a clear cut diagnosis, treat me for R.A., maybe you have Hashimotos says the Endo dr.(I have a goiter), gp says might have raynauds.(I get very cold hands and toes and can't stand the cold), eye dr. and dentists says sjogren's, my dermatologist thinks I just have had bouts of eczema, next time I get a patch I will have them skin graph.

Thanks for being here

Laura