Thread: ANA level

Thanks

Default ANA level

Hi everyone. I just got the results of my last blood test and my ANA has jumped from 1:40 in April to 1:1141 today. Plus I'm really broken out and have had a lot of fever. Has anyone experienced a jump like that in a short time period? I've done a lot of searching on the net but can't find any info on what that means. Does it mean my Lupus is progressing rapidly? Thanks so much for all your help.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It may mean that you are in a Lupus Flare. The ANA is one indicator used to determine if the disease is active. Almost all people with SLE have a high ANA titer. However, your jump in titer may also indicate that you might have an additional condition. Many conditions may result in a high ANA titer. These conditions include: scleroderma, Sjögren's syndrome, and myositis. Other conditions with a high ANA titer include Raynaud's syndrome, viral infections, and liver disease. Although an ANA titer may help support a diagnosis for these conditions, it is not used by itself to confirm a diagnosis. You should talk to your doctor to see what the jump means to you specifically. A thorough medical history, physical examination, and other tests are needed to confirm any other suspected autoimmune disease.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you. I've got a call in to my Dr. to find out what that means for me. It was pretty spooky to me to have a high jump in ANA. Is it normal to have it jump that high?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "normal" with Lupus. Each of us have different symptoms with our Lupus and it affects our bodies in different ways. So, I cannot say what a normal jump of ANA would be, because I do not think there is a gage to determine normal. Let us know what your doctor says and how you are doing!

Peace and BLessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!