Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can women who have Lupus, have children?

Thanks

Default Can women who have Lupus, have children?

Hello,
    I am new here, and I dont know alot about lupus, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about how it may effect a women in being able to have children. And if having children would cause the disease to worsen in any way, or shorten a persons life span. I have heard that it could. Does anyone know of anyone who has had children, who has Lupus, without having problems?

Thank you, Rena'

Thanks

Default Children and women with Lupus

HI Rena,
    I am new here too. I found out that I had lupus while I was pregnant, and that was stressful for me. Women with lupus can have children but you must be careful. It would be best to conceive when you haven't had a flare in a long time; when the disease is not very active. They do have medication for pregnant women to take. There is a chance that you might flare after the baby is born. My baby and I made several trips to the hospital, and she had a lot of blood tested and drawn. My daughter is just fine! She is healthy, active and smart. She is almost ten months now. I wish you the best, and I hope that this e-mail has helped you.

Thanks

Default Thank you.

Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for your post. While this information I was asking for isnt for me, its for my son's girlfriend, and I was concerned about her health in the future, if they did try to have children someday, since she has Lupus.
    You say you dont have any problems now. But are the chances real high for the Lupus to flare up after you have had a baby? And if so is there medications to take care of it, if it does? And does a persons lifestyle have to change, or their diet, and that sort of thing? And is it something that can be passed down to the baby?
    I'm glad to hear you and your baby are doing good, and I wish the best for the both of you. Thanks again for your reply. Rena'

Thanks

Well Rena,
    I have read that it's very likely to flare up after the baby is born but I did not suffer a lot. I was having some pain in my joints, and I felt stiff, but it wasn't as bad as I read about it being. They do give you anit-inflammatory and pain medication. She doesn't have to completely change her lifestyle, she should just eat healthy and exercise when she's not in pain. I don't know how bad it is for her, but if she can continue with the types of things she does every day, then I would suggest that she did. Too much exposure to sunlight could cause a flare, but she could just put on sunblock and she should be just fine. There is a small percentage; about 5% chance that her child may have lupus but it is not likely. I hope this info helps. God bless you.
    I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with Lupus when I was seven months pregnant. I think that everyone should be more aware of potential causes of this illness.

Thanks

Default Thanks again.

Michelle,
    Thank you for your reply. Your information sounds encouraging.
    She is 30 yrs. old and has never had children, but I was concerned what kind of problems she might possibly have. I dont believe her Lupus is that active right now. She has known that she has Lupus since she was about 17, I believe. She has had some problems from time to time with her kidneys, and there were some problems a few times with her ankle joints, but I think right now its not all that active. I was just concerned what may happen if she ever did become pregnant, and how it may effect her health, and that of the babies. Thanks for helping me understand this better.
    Love, Rena'

Thanks

I'm glad that I was able to help in some way.

Thanks

Thanks Michelle! ((hugs))
    You've been a great help!

Thanks

I'm glad that I could help. I was wondering, do you know if she's experienced any hair loss? Well, I just went through that and I was wondering if this will happen repeatedly or if it would just happen this once. I was crying a lot when it started coming out; I had a nice head of hair and now it's almost all the way gone. Well, I was just wondering.. Maybe we can talk again sometime.
    I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with Lupus when I was seven months pregnant. I think that everyone should be more aware of potential causes of this illness.

Thanks

Hi Michelle,
    You know I'm not to sure about the hair loss, because I'm not sure how it was when she was young. I'v known her for about 3 years and her hair seems to be the same as it was when I first met her. But I'll ask her how it was when she was younger. It could have been a lot thicker then.
    You know sometimes you can have hair loss just from having a baby, sometimes the anesthetics your are given during the babies birth can cause hair loss, I know it did me when I had my children. And it mostly came back. Of course that may be different from what your talking about.
    Anyway I'll ask her. I'll talk with you another time. Love, Rena'

Thanks

Hello,
    I would like to ask another question about women who have Lupus having children. How does it effect a woman, or the baby, if she waits until she's in her mid-30's to have her first baby. I'v heard that it may be more of a problem if a woman waits tell then to have her first. Does anyone have any information on this? Thank you. Love, Rena'