Thread: Pain in lower left quadrant

Thanks

Default Pain in lower left quadrant

Anyone experienced this? It started a few days ago as an intermittent sensation of fullness - almost like a gas pain. It's gotten stadily more intense and now is constant, and more painful. Occassionaly I get a stabbing pain too. It's worse at night when laying down. No fever, nausea, or vomiting - just pain.

I'm currently on 12.5 mg/day of prednisone, clotrimazole for thrush, and an antibiotic for a suspected urinary tract infection (I say suspected because I had all the symptoms but no bacteria showed up in my urine). Any thoughts? I have my first rheumy appt next wednesday, but if this keeps intensifying I may end up in the ER before then.

RG

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm assuming that you are talking about the lower left quadrant of your abdomen, since you mentioned gas and a feeling of fullness. Abdominal pain is a common symptom in systemic lupus erythematosus. Many lupus patients report recurrent severe attacks of abdominal pain, often necessitating hospital admission or emergency room (as you mentioned). Usually, a laparotomy is used to diagnose the problem. Lupus Enteritis was found to be the most common cause of severe abdominal pain.
    The problems have been an active arteritis (an inflammatory condition affecting the medium-sized blood vessels) of the mesenteric arteries (the major arteries supplying the small and large intestines), as well as infarction (the process resulting in a microscopic area of necrotic [dead] tissue in some organ caused by loss of adequate blood supply), often in the jejunum (the central of the three divisions of the small intestine and lies between the duodenum and the ileum) and ileum (the final section of the small intestine). Lupus enteritis is the most common cause of acute abdominal pain in SLE (described above). Lupus enteritis is a term applied to the alimentary (the organs of digestion tract) lesions in systemic lupus erythematosus and may affect any part of the gastrointestinal tract.
    It would be advisable for you to, indeed, go to your doctor to get a diagnosis so that you can begin treatment as soon as possible.
    Keep let us know how it goes

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Saysusie has already explained about the stomach pain. I didn't even think anything of it, but I have had something like that, too, it's pain in my stomach on my left side mostly, and it seems like the left side of my stomach is bigger or more prominent than my right side, do you have that, too?
    I also just wanted to offer some advice on the suspected UTI. I, for quite some time, went on with a suspected UTI, nothing was showing up on my cultures, but I was on antibiotics anyways. My urologist ended up doing a cystoscopy and he saw that my urethra was inflamed and diagnosed me with urethritis. The reason why no bacteria grows/nothing shows up on cultures is because it's not the urine or bladder(in my case) that was inflammed/affected, it is the urethra, which causes negative urine cultures, although my bladder is also inflammed from an unknown cause. About five years ago, I went to so many doctors/ER rooms for this urologic pain, no one could tell me what it was, no one did a cystoscopy, and they all pretty much told me it was in my mind, and it just mysteriously went away, and those symptoms five years ago are the same symptoms I have now, except I have a name to my pain because one doctor actually was smart enough to take the intiative to do a cystoscopy. I have been on almost a month of antiobiotics to treat the urethritis, but it's not doing anything, my doctor wasn't even sure what caused the inflammation, and I might have an autoimmune problem due to other symptoms, so that might have caused this inflammation. So, I would highly suggest you mention urethritis to your urologist/doctor, because it is possible, and I really never want anyone to get the kind of runaround I got with it. Good luck and get better!

Thanks

Same UIT pain, negative cultures, too many antibiotics, no doctor help happened to me for years including 3 hospitalizations for that and very high fevers. Finally the 4th and last time I was hospitalized for that they tested and tested til they came up with a high ANA and other lupus markers. After starting the prednisone and the plaquenil etc etc I have a calm bladder and have no pain and no urgency. I am convinced there was inflamation in the bladder and urethra that was from the lupus and that was what was causing all my problems. I am more than angry that all the doc, including a supposedly reknown gyne-urologist at one of Chicago's best hospitals, could not consider a lupus connection.

Thanks

^^Wow, that really gives me hope that they will finally find something causing all of this, I am going to mention that to my doctor tomorrow, thanks for sharing that information![/i]