Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys are the best!

Thanks

Default You guys are the best!

Hi,
    I thought a feel good post would be really great for us who are feeling yuk. So what are some of the best tips, supportive words, general great things that you have found from wehavelupus.

Thanks

The first one I am going to mention is... makeup tips..

I have been getting lupus rashes, vasculitis, blotches all over my body and after reading about the bare minerals tip for covering butterfly rashes and the like from everyone I made a special trip out to get some.

I've only being wearing it for today- so I can't speak of whether it blocks my pores or anything but I am loving it.

I have a few formal functions coming up and I was worried about exposing these areas (it looks like I am contagious or something), and now I feel like I can be pretty

Thanks

I looked at the prices for "bare minerals" and went

:shock: GAAAAK!!!! :shock:

The idea sounded fabulous but I'm not a person who spends much on makeup. So I kept looking at it and saying..."maybe someday..."

"Physicians formula" has now come out with a no-talc line of base powder and blush, I've tried that and like it. I think there's a few other brands who are doing that as well - but watch for the talc - it isn't good for you. It may not have as good of coverage and as many color choices as bere minerals, though.

My fav thing in the winter is long hot baths with lots of bubbles, followed by lavendar scented massage oil. In the summer? A tall cool drink and a good book....

Thanks

Oh my...where do I start? Good recipes and great stories (Littlered!) and great medical insights and information (Saysusie and Marycain) wonderful inspiration (lots and lots of people, like Browneyedgirl) wonderful support from so many (like Ilovehistory). I could name so many of you who've meant a lot to me this past year. I think the most important lesson I've learned here is to take an active role in your own health care. Read, learn, question, and talk openly with your doctors. I don't know if I would've been nearly as strong an advocate for my own healthcare if I hadn't had this place to come to ask questions. Thanks to everyone who posts here!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hatlady - yep I did that too :lol: . + I have the import costs. But I'm seriously wearing it on the w/e even as it is so easy. I'm actually going to get the blush next week (don't tell hubby- I already hid the foundation).

I am so craving hot baths now.

Mnjodette - ditto all that. Well said.

Also- Saysusie - for a good whack over the head for me being impatient with my Dr telling me to wait before trying for a baby- whilst still being kind and supportive. I thank you. Sometimes we need to listen to our Drs, even when they are not telling us what we want to hear (just sometimes :P)

Now- I am off to take a bath- heehee.
    P.S. Where are those recipes?

Thanks

I used to LOVE indulgeing in a long, warm bath with bubbles, or scented oil, and massages with a really nice smelling lotion or oil. However, I have many allergies, and the fragrances it seems all started to give me a rash. Now that I have my lupus and allergies more under control, I would love to ease back into trying a few products in the hopes that I can tolerate them and once again enjoy the luxery of a long relaxing bath and/or lotion massage. Any suggestions or favorites?
    Thanks
    Laura

Thanks

I don't quite have the allergy problem as such- but I do sneeze at perfume. I just can't stop :shock: . But I do find that I am fine with essential oils, and I can wear them as a "perfume" in a carrier base oil.

You can put I think it is 10 or 20(?) drops of essential oil in your bath. Some of them are meant to be good for skin, (eg. soothing or antiseptic etc.)

Also, if you are reacting you may wish to put them in at lower then the recomended concentration - like half or so. Also if you are pregnant- check first etc, some are contraindicated.

I'm a big aromatherepy fan

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm loving this thread everyone.... :lol: Keep it going!

Saysusie

Thanks

Aromatherapy I love?

At work I keep essential oils -
    grapefruit
    rosemary
    peppermint

and I'll take a sniff of the grapefruit when I'm feeling tired, or rosemary when I'm feeling foggy. Or peppermint for a pick-me-up.

Then again, some days I just put all 3 on a cotton ball on my desk and breathe deeply!

At home I keep geranium - supposed to be good for "general wellness" and put a drop on my wrist in the morning.

Bedtime? Lavendar of course!

Thanks

Oh, this kind of fits right in with my What's Your Favorite Pick Me Up Song... well, as I keep reading....I keep getting more ideas about what eases and pleases my tired achy body when I'm feeling yucky. I LOVE THE SMELL OF GERANIUM IN THE MORNING....it's the only one that doesn't make me sneeze!

I discovered that hot baths are not so good, mildly warm baths are much more gentler on your nerves and skin. It took quite awhile for me to get used to because I was HOTTUB baby for years....but now if I ever get the water too hot, I really can tell the next morning.

I like Physicians Formula make-up too. I have more allergies than I have hairs on my head...so bubble baths, shampoo, soaps, etc....tend to be more bothersome than anything else. So, I run my mildly warm water, I pour myself a nice glass of ice water in a champagne glass, play my favorite soothing music, I have the luxury of living in a place with a window right above the bathtub...and no neighbors, so I love opening the window....and feeling the wonderful breeze, listening to the music, and melting into my tubby!! I pour just a little of Neurtrogena Body Oil (unscented) into the water and when I'm out....I'm as smooth as a baby's battuttie, and I sleep like a baby too!

I believe that relaxing is so very important to managing our lives with lupus or just managing life period. Having the opportunity to share our frustrations, our joys, our cries of help....is such a relief for all of us!!
    So, I'm off to my tubbie time, and cheers to all of you; be well....be good!

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown