Thread: C3 + C4 + CH50

Thanks

Default C3 + C4 + CH50

Hi all, got some test results back after having many lupus symptoms. The one thing that really popped out was my C3 + C4 + CH50, which was high at 195. Anyone know what C3 + C4 + CH50 means? I am new at this and have no idea what it is.

Kristen

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus is sometimes difficult to diagnose because there is no single set of symptoms and no one test to get a definite diagnosis. A physical exam and a blood test can detect a group of antibodies found in the blood of almost all people with lupus. Some other lab tests include:
    A compliment test (C3, C4, CH50, CH100) measures the amount of complementary proteins circulating in the blood. C3 and C4 complement are parts of a group of globulin proteins found in the blood. Globulins carry substances through the bloodstream. C3 and C4 complement help the body's immune system react to inflammation and infection. The results of the blood test for C3 and C4 complement help monitor the condition of people with Lupus and/or kidney disease (nephritis).
    Researchers found that C3 levels were a more sensitive index of disease activity than those of C4. When C4 levels were higher than C3 levels, it was found that those patients had renal (kidney) involvement and active disease.
    C3, C4, Total Complement is also known as CH50 or CH100, these are the total Hemolytic Complement Activity. They are used to determine whether deficiencies or abnormalities in the proteins that are part of the complement system are contributing to increased infections or increased autoimmune activity. They are also used to monitor the activity of autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus.

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

So what would a C3 of 195 mean?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Complement activity varies throughout the body. For example, in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, complement activity in the blood may be normal or higher-than-normal, but much lower-than-normal in the joint fluid.The normal range for C3 is 75-135 mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter). Increased complement activity usually indicates disease activity.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie