Thread: been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis

Thanks

Default been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis

well!!!! They have finally I think ruled out lupus for me.. they did a punch biopsy on a rash on the back of my neck.. and it has come back and the dermatologist and the rheumatologist both told me they are sure this is psoriatic arthritis... it doesn't sound any funner the lupus..
    but at least i have a diagnosis?? whether that is good or not.. i don't know.. anyway.. I wanted to thank everyone for their advice.. for listening to me whine.. I will keep coming back to read about people and say hey... wishing you all well!!!! POOH
    POOH1988

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Pooh1988 :lol:
    Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic disease characterized by inflammation of the skin (psoriasis) and joints (arthritis). Doesn't that sound familiar? Patients who have inflammatory arthritis and psoriasis are diagnosed as having psoriatic arthritis. Psoriatic arthritis is a systemic rheumatic disease that can also cause inflammation in body tissues away from the joints other than the skin, such as in the eyes, heart, lungs, and kidneys. Psoriatic arthritis shares many features with several other arthritic conditions, such as ankylosising spondylitis, reactive arthritis (formerly Reiter's syndrome), and arthritis associated with Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis. All of these conditions can cause inflammation in the spine and other joints, and the eyes, skin, mouth, and various organs. In view of their similarities and tendency to cause inflammation of the spine, these conditions are collectively referred to as "spondyloarthropathies."
    The treatment for Psoriatic arthritis involves some of the same therapies as Lupus. Generally, the treatment of arthritis in psoriatic arthritis involves a combination of anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) and exercise. If progressive inflammation and joint destruction occur despite NSAIDs treatment, more potent medications such as methotrexate, corticosteroids, and anti-malarial medications (Plaquenil) are used.
    So, since Psoriatic arthritis is a systemic rheumatic disease...that still makes you part of our family (that could be good or bad - huh?). That means that you are welcome here at any time, we are still here to help you in any way that we can for as long as you need and want us.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default thanks saysusie!!

Awe thanks.. I think.. ha ha..
    I can say that talking to other people who have similar problems is a big help.. so good.. I still have family here!!
    POOH1988

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes..you absolutely do :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

I'm so glad you got a dx. Such a relief to have name for it, isn't it? Hope all gets better for you. Don't apologize for whinning, its good for the soul to let it out. Good luck and best wishes to you.
    Cheryl