Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks and gratitude - a reminder

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Thanks and gratitude - a reminder

A favorite daily message I receive is from a group called "Beliefnet" - nondenominational, they have daily inspirations, prayers, etc, it is wonderful. Today's inspirational story, copied below, reiminded me of the importance of gratitude.

What are you grateful for today?

I'm grateful for the sun being out after days of rain.
    The new hat a coworker gave me
    Wonderful peaches ripe now and so juicy sweet!
    A kiss from my sweet love this morning before I left for work
    and...another day of life to live!

Now, here's the article...

http://www.beliefnet.com/nllp/Inspir...ate=08-22-2007

The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over.
    Aesop

Today's Inspirational Story

Four Ways to Give Thanks
    These simple tips will help you to cultivate gratitude in your daily life.
    By Catherine Price

Reprinted from Greater Good Magazine, Vol. IV, Issue 1. Used with permission.

Research in positive psychology has identified several ways that practicing gratitude can boost people's health and happiness. Here are four of these research-tested "gratitude interventions."

1. Write a gratitude letter.
    Research by Martin Seligman, Christopher Peterson, and others has shown this one to be particularly effective. Write a letter to a mentor, family member, or some other important person in your life whom you've never properly thanked. Deliver it in person. Read it out loud. Bring tissues.

2. Keep a gratitude journal.
    Studies by psychologists Michael McCullough, Robert Emmons, Sonja Lyubomirsky, and others have backed up this exercise, which involves keeping a list of things for which you're grateful—anything from your children or spouse to the beauty of the tree outside your window. Doing so helps you focus on the positive things in your life—a practice that's been shown to increase happiness.

3. Savor.
    Take the time to notice beauty and pleasures in your daily life. Loyola University psychologist Fred Bryant has shown that savoring positive experiences can heighten your positive responses to them. A key to savoring is what Bryant calls "thanksgiving," or expressing gratitude for the blessings that come your way, large and small.

4. Think outside the box.
    It's fairly obvious why we might feel grateful for grandmothers, lovely sunsets, and anything else that has provided comfort or beauty in our lives. But what about thanking the homeless people who come to the shelter where you volunteer? "Individuals who do volunteer work sometimes speak of the benefits they receive from service," writes Robert Emmons in his forthcoming book, Thanks! "Since service to others helped them to find their own inner spirituality, they were grateful for the opportunity to serve." If we look hard enough, he argues, we can find a reason to feel grateful for any relationship—even when someone does us harm, as that person helps us appreciate our own vulnerability. Emmons claims that such highly advanced forms of gratitude may actually increase the level of goodness in the world by inspiring positive acts in ourselves and others.

Thanks

Default Thanks and Gratitude

What a great way to start the day. Thanks so much for the post Hatlady.

I'm grateful for every smile from my husband and son,
    Hazelnut coffee on a cloudy day,
    Free time with my family,
    A message from the doctor calling my son's lab results" absolutely terrific",
    and...all the wonderfully warm and supportive people on this site!!!

Prayers for all good things,
    Beth

Saysusie is online now Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hatlady :lol:

Thank you so much for the ways to practice gratitude. I especially like #1 and #4 (thinking outside of the box). I've often heard it be said that we should be grateful for everything that happens to us (good or bad) because had it not happened, it would not have motivated us to be who and what we are today!
    I copied it and sent it to my friends and family because we all need to be reminded that there is much that we can all be grateful for! Again....thank You!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I''m grateful for YOU, Hatlady, for sharing this with us! I have a coworker who brings blank thank you notes to staff meetings and passes them out. Everyone is expected to write a thank you to someone else in our agency who made a difference in our lives in the past month. It's amazing the impact it has on staff! Both the 'giver' and the 'receiver' of the thank you are blessed by the act. Nice reminder for all of us...thanks again, Hatlady.
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oooh, I love that idea. I think I'll try to use it in some of my meetings!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

OH HATLADY, YOU MAKE MY HEART SOAR!!!!! I love and appreciate that we have this faith forum!!

With all of my heart, I believe it is AN ABSOLUTE MUST that we choose joy, accept love, stretch our faith, and hold strong to God's principals.

Thank you for encouraging us, what wonderful ideas and suggestions.

My verse for today was Romans 12:2 - And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you pay prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Here's hoping that you're having a great day!

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks

"....Be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." I absolutely love that portion of your verse!

Thank You Browneyedgirl :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks, Suze!!

I have to tell you all how much I love having this THREAD of conversation.......IT'S WONDERFUL, IT'S REFRESHING, IT'S OH SO GOOD!!!!!

Today, I was missing my mom and when I call she seems to know that just hearing her voice makes me feel "all is right with the world".....she sang to me "What A Friend We Have In Jesus"....I cried the UGLY cry the whole time. As old as I am, I finally understand how incredibly loving that song is.

So, here's sending you lots and lots of love today.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

thanks and the same to you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Much Love to you Browneyedgirl;
    This is that time of year when I miss my Lauri. Her birthday is the tenth of October and that day is fast approaching. I never know what my emotions are going to do as I get closer to another birthday without her, another Halloween (her second favorite holiday) without her, another Thanksgiving without her, another Christmas (Her very favorite holiday) without her, and another New Year's without her (not to mention another day without her for the other 360 days!). I am usually a wreck from October until the end of January :?
    I cannot call her when I miss her....so, I call my mom and we cry together. I call my son and we are silent together. I talk to Lauri all day long and get no answer I never quite know what to do!

I love that your mother sings to you when she knows you need it. You are truly blessed, in so many ways. And, never forget that you are a blessing.

Much Peace to you and may you continue to bless and be blessed!
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!