Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTI, kidneys??

Thanks

Default UTI, kidneys??

Hi,
    Bit of an embarrasing question- but lately it has been hurting a bit when I pee ops: . I didn't think anything of it before but it is getting worse. I had a urinalysis a couple of days ago (it was checking on my kidneys with the whole vasculitis thing)..
    So I was at my GPs yesterday and I asked about it. The doc haddn't checked it yet but the receptionist said that to her it looked like there was no infection and blood and protein were all normal.

So what could it be. I'm assuming she would have seen if they found casts or something. Is it a side effect of the prednisolone? Could it be related to the vasulitis/lupus thing?

On the plus side- the whole energy boost has kicked in from the prednisolone and I feel fabulous. If a little moody (my poor hubby ops: )

Thanks

UTIs are how my Lupus initially manifested. I'd get RAGING UTIs and really high out of control fevers and then I'd be flat on my back in the hospital with rashes and fevers and incredible aches all over my body. It took 4 times of this nonsense to get a diagnosis of Lupus but now that I'm on Lupus meds etc ALL my UTI and bladder issues have resolved (this is after at least 10 years and many urologists etc ...you'd think they'd at least contemplate Lupus when a woman presents like that wouldn't you? ...but that's another whole issue).

Anyway, I would have terrible symptoms of UTIs without the bacteria showing up in the labs one time and the next time there would be a bad infection evident. It was always so random. Now I'm extremely careful about all things urine related ops: and get myself to a doc at the first sign of any peeing pain.

I would advise you to do the same ....my rheumy said UTIs were very common in Lupus patients but the way mine manifest is somewhat different. Your's could be similar to mine.

The things I do now to avoid UTIs which have been helpful include:
    Wet wipes ...to stay very very clean
    Peeing and wet wipes before and after sex
    Cotton underware
    Cranberry juice every day
    Lots and lots of water
    Antibiotics at the first sign of painful urination

I hope this has been of some help. Good luck with your pesky old bladder :!:

Thanks

I was just going to post a question about the same thing! It feels like I have a urinary tract infection - have the "urge" to go even when there is very little there, pressure in bladder, mild burning sensation after going... But I just got back from my PCP's office, where they did a urine test and said it was fine.

I was hoping that with a diagnosis I would feel like less of a heel going to the doctor's for things they can't figure out, but I was worng. Not that the doc made me feel that way, she gave me a Rx for anti-biotics "just in case the machine missed something". Whatever.

Has anyone else ever had these symptoms and had it be something other than a UTI? Could it be a UTI with no bacteria in my urine? I'm going to get the rx filled and try the antibiotics.

RG

Thanks

ok- more embarrassing. It turned out to be an ulcer in the area ops: . I didn't think that a UTI sounded right.

I looked at a couple of lupus sites as I remembered that it said that you can get them there- as well as the nose and mouth- but still ops: .

I didn't see it when it started hurting- and didn't notice until I found some blood.

OK TMI ops:

Thanks

Great suggestions though Mrs Murdena. I've always wondered how well the cranberry juice works- is it just like Ural or something to neutralise your urine?

Thanks

RottieGirl- I understand about feeling like a heel going to the Dr for things that they can't figure out. I so often feel like I am wasteing everyones time as they "never" can do anything about it. Now they just say- yep- It's the lupus and send me home. Then my rheumie told me that I should be seeing my GP more often :roll: . To do what exactly??

Thanks

Don't feel embarrassed Nekhbet!

These things that happen to us just don't seem normal! Before my diagnosis, and I was still trying to convince my GP there was something wrong with me, I developed a mouth ulcer the size of a silver dollar in the back of my throat. I thought I had some awful infection. My doc made me feel like such an idiot... grrrr. "it's just a mouth ulcer"... you would think he could have starting putting all the clues together, but no... he thought it was all in my head. It was my GYN that kept trying to help me, and eventually figured it all out.

BTW - .. I had UTI's for years with no evidence of bacteria, one of my many symptoms that finally started me on the path to learning I had lupus.

Thanks

well, I haven't been diagnosed with lupus yet, but I've had this problem A LOT. I've been hospitalized three times for kidney infections. Its really terrible and no fun. Its so frequent that I've even stopped taking antibiotics unless I'm running a high fever.

Thanks

Sonya. That would be horrible. So I take it that the steps you are taking (cranberry juice etc) are helping even with the bacteria negative episodes?

Newyorkgirl- that sounds terrible. Is that due to resistance? Like- you might need to have them work if it gets worse? It is terrible when it gets to that stage {{{hugz}}}

Thanks

Hi!

I do have Interstitial Cystitis (perhaps this could be causing your guys' symptoms?), but I always have this problem where I feel like I have a U.T.I. and so I go and see the doctor, but often, they don't find anything when my urine is sent away to the lab. for a culture (even though they can find an infection with the dipstick) or there is nothing when they dip the stick in! :x It is just SO embarrassing! ops:

Keep well and God bless!