Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the life span for a person diagnosed with Lupus?

Thanks

Default What is the life span for a person diagnosed with Lupus?

I was diagnosed with Lupus back in Sept. 2003 and have been on Prednisone and Methotrexate.....then Prednisone and IV Cytoxan (because of my Kidneys) for 5 months. Now it will probably be Prednisone and Imuran. So far the meds are working and I'm feeling pretty good. But I've been reading on the internet that people with Lupus probably will live about 10 years after they have been diagnosed because of complications related to the Lupus.

I was just wondering if anyone on this board had been diagnosed with Lupus for over 10 years?

I'm hoping what I read was wrong and any help would be appreciated........

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tigerfan;
    I was diagnosed with LUPUS in 1985...it is now 2004 and I am still kicking. In my case, I had no organ invovlement as I was diagnosed and started treatment quickly (by quickly, in the Lupus world, I mean within a year!).
    The prognosis, as you said, depends heavily upon the symptoms and the type and extent of organ involvment.
    There is no real "set-in-stone" time line for life span once a diagnosis has been made...there are far too many variables. You should also consider the fact that you may be one of the lucky ones who goes into remission!!
    My advice, continue to take your medications, continue to make your health a priority, exercise, eat well, alleviate stress, and live a love-filled and loving existence!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

And I read on the Lupus Foundation website that 80-90% of those diagnosed live a normal lifespan. I think that sounds pretty good!

Thanks

Saysusie,

Thanks for the reply. I think your forums are very informative and it does give me a sense of comfort that I am not alone. I don't even know a single person who has lupus. So when I was diagnosed, I was pretty scared......because I didn't know what to expect.

Thanks for helping us to know more about lupus.

All the best to everyone.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tigerfan;
    You are more than welcome :lol:
    That is why we are here; to provide comfort, support and information. Most importantly, to let you know that You Are Not Alone and that we understand!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

How are you today ????
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

Default I WAS DIAGNOSED IN 2000 AND PLAN ON LIVING A GOOD LONG WHILE

There is a lady in my local support group who was diagnosed over 20 years ago and she is still kicking. Some people go into remission - others can control their disease with meds, and new treatments are being researched all the time. So I plan on living to be the crazy old lady in the neighborhood!

Thanks

I'm with you Mary. I want to live life to the fullest. My dad died at 49 yrs old with cancer and I am going to live for the both of us.
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

My brother had lupus for 26 years. Now I have it. Unfortunately, my brother passed away March 2005. He couldn't afford his medicines anymore. That was caused his death.

Thanks

SisterLoudJoy

My sympathies on the loss of your brother.

I don't know if it is OK to recommend books, but I have found Peace in the Storm by Maureen Pratt.

They say your life changes once you get your diagnosis. I found out on January 6, 2003. So I am rather new to the disease and this forum.
    LupieGirl

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    Emerson