Thread: soar mouth

Thanks

Default soar mouth

Hi everyone I havn't posted often so please be patient with me until I get the hang of this. I would like to know if anyone else gets soar mouth? I read about the ulsers in the mouth, that is not what I have, my mouth roof, tongue,gums, throat feel rawand turn pink,no actual soars, although someplaces are more tender than others. This happens to me quite often and the doc looks puzzled when I tell him. I havn't heard anyone else describe their symptoms this way before. Is it lupus related or something else.
    Pahrens

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Peggy;
    There is no single test or symptom that can pinpoint Lupus. There is an established list of symptoms that distinguish Lupus from other diseases. You must have at least four of the following 11 criteria:
    1) red rash over the cheeks
    2) red patches of skin associated with scaling and plugging of hair follicles
    3) rash after exposure to sunlight or other UV rays
    4) SMALL, RAW AREAS IN THE MOUTH AND THROAT
    5) swelling and pain in two or more joints
    6) chest and abdominal pain
    7) kidney problems
    8) seizures or severe mental illness
    9) decreases in the number of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets
    10) the presence of LE cells, anti-DNA and anti-SM antibodies or a false positive tests for syphilis
    11) the presence of antinuclear antibody, even though you are not taking any drugs known to trigger a positive result.

The small raw areas in the mouth and throat have sometimes been the precursors to oral ulcers. Ask your doctor to run tests to see if you might have an autoimmune disease. The sooner you are tested, the sooner you can begin treatments to resolve the issue.

I hope that I have been helpful! Let me know if you need more information :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default soar mouth

thank you for the reply saysusie, I do have lupus but I have not heard anyone else describe the raw feeling that I often have. Other people seem to have individual soars mine is a raw feeling over my intire mouth, I just wondered if it might not be lupus related. My dr. is not very helpful and i am looking for another one.
    Thanks Again
    Pahrens

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Peggy;
    Yes, many people do have the raw, tingly feeling in their mouths as opposed to the open lesions. Sometimes, the tingly, raw sore mouth and throat eventually turn into the lesions.
    Since you have not reached that stage yet..and hopefully never will, I have heard some people say that gargleling with buttermilk helps :?: Also, hydrogen peroxide or a streroidal gel. Doctors usually treat the condition with anti-malarials (such as plaquenil) or steroids.
    I hope that this helps...let me know if you need more information!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

And I've had some gum tenderness that seems to be associated with side effects of medications. That seems like a possibility, too.

Missy

Thanks

My rheumy gave a medicine to rinse my mouth out that is really good for the sore mouth. I also have the rawness you described, but sometimes I just have little sores, and sometimes I have cracks in the corner of my mouth. All of it hurts like the devil and can make eating very difficult. The liquid medicine is called Nystatin.

Wouldn't hurt to ask your doc if it's alright for you to have........
    "Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying"~Tim McGraw

Rhonda

Thanks

Default mouth soars

Its been a long time since I posted. Sorry.
    I was posting today to ask if anyone has experienced tenderness in their gums, soar like roof of mouth. It's very uncomfortable and some pain. I read on this board long ago, where this man had the above and used mouth wash throughout the day. I have been using mouth wash and soaking my toothbrush overnight, as he suggested. It has helped some but the roof of my mouth continues to be soar. I have a doc's appt. on Tuesday, I will post with any more news. I hope it helps.

Thanks

I have sores of and on in my mouth often that range from odd feeling, tingly, blisters, funny looking cut like places on my tounge, and just plain tender inflamation on the inside of my cheeks. My mother, that passed away from lupus complications, had this as well. My doctor says it is a lupus thing. Since I am doing well enough not to be on prednisone all the time, a short round (few days) of prednisone clears my mouth back up.

I use antiseptic mouthwash and synsodine toothpaste (rub where sores are) often when my mouth is bothering me. They both help seem to help.

Dency

Thanks

Default Holistic meds/practices I have found to work and/or help!

Hi! I am new to the forum. I'm 23, and was diagnosed with Lupus at age 20. I have pretty much had every textbook symptom and then some. I originally started out trying to heal myself holistically, thru the help of holistic practitioners and materials. I have found many things to help:
    -
    You mention mouth soreness/ulcers...: I get this all the time! First, switch to natural toothpaste and mouthwash- I find Jason's to be my favorite. Swishing with natural mouthwash really helps- but really hurts too, if you have ulcers- but it's worth the pain. Coptis Chinensis is a liquid from the bark of a tree. A few drops in a small glass of water swished and swallowed 2 times a day, I also, place small drops directly on specific ulcers. This burns, but again, worth it. This stuff is also very bitter! And last but not least, L-lysine!! Pill form and chapstick form. The chapstick helps relieve lip soreness,pain, and sores. Taking it in pill form has showed to rid my mouth of pain and ulcers, relieve lip rashes and ulcers, AND treated my huge red rash on my temples and forehead. Any of these are worth a try! Hope something works for you-Mollie

Thanks

My mouth and tongue are sore and swollen a lot. Like everything else, the doctor said "Oh, that just happens with Lupus patients sometimes (deal with it)." But, I also recently had a rash in my mouth. It was little red dots. I asked the doctor to test me for thrush. And I did have yeast cells present when the culture came back. Nystatin is used to kill yeast, so it may help.