Thread: ANA score

Thanks

Default ANA score

At what ANA point score is a likely diagnosis made?

Thanks ... you guys are the BEST.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

An antinuclear antibody test is often useful in the evaluation of connective tissue diseases, such as lupus. This blood test detects the presence of certain antibodies made by your immune system. People with lupus typically test positive for antinuclear antibodies. However, a positive ANA blood test isn't specific for lupus. Other conditions that may cause a positive antinuclear antibody test.
    Most doctors consider an elevation of the antinuclear antibody (ANA) titer to 1:40 or higher as positive. Again, a positive ANA does not necessarily mean a lupus diagnoses. Other criteria must be met along with a positive ANA before your doctor will diagnose you with Lupus (You should also know that it is possible to have a negative ANA and still have lupus).

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I got my results back ...

My ANA is .2, my SED rate is 2, and my RA test was 8. Does this mean I don't have Lupus? Not that I *want* it, but something is very wrong here!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It does not necessarily mean that you do or that you don't. Have you met any of the other criteria? As I mentioned, it is possible to have "Negative ANA LUPUS" if other criteria are met.
    You said that your ANA was 2. I've not seen the ANA results written that way. They are reported as titers in this form: 1:180. This form tells the doctors how many dilutions were needed before antibodies are no longer detected.
    A titer is determined by repeating the positive test with serial dilutions until the test yields a negative result. The last dilution which yields a positive result (flourescence) is the titer which gets reported. For example, if a titer performed for a positive ANA test is:
    1:10 positive
    1:20 positive
    1:40 positive
    1:80 positive
    1:160 positive
    1:320 negative
    An ANA report has three parts:
    1) positive or negative
    2) if positive, a titer is determined and reported
    3) the pattern of flourescence is reported
    ANA titers and patterns can vary between laboratory testing sites, perhaps because of variation in methodology used. These are the commonly recognized patterns:
    Homogeneous - total nuclear fluorescence due to antibody directed against nucleoprotein. Common in SLE (lupus).
    Peripheral - fluorescence occurs at edges of nucleus in a shaggy appearance. Anti-DNA antibodies cause this pattern. Also common in SLE (lupus).
    Speckled - results from antibody directed against different nuclear antigens.
    Nucleolar - results from antibody directed against a specific RNA configuration of the nucleolus or antibody specific for proteins necessary for maturation of nucleolar RNA. Seen in patients with systemic sclerosis.

ANAs are found in patients who have various autoimmune diseases, but not only autoimmune diseases. ANAs can be found also in patients with infections, cancer, lung diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, hormonal diseases, blood diseases, skin diseases, and in elderly people or people with a family history of rheumatic disease. ANAs are actually found in about 5% of the normal population.
    The ANA results are just one factor in diagnosing any disease, and must be considered together with your clinical symptoms AND other diagnostic tests. Also, your medical history will play a role in your diagnosis because some prescription drugs can cause "drug-induced ANAs".

So, there is no set answer to your question until all tests are taken, all criteria are met and your medical history is considered. You may have some auto-immune disorder, but it cannot be determined yet if it is Lupus.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks ... I see my GP today and will go over some other tests results. This is all very confusing to me now!!

Thanks

i have a question whats a tilter? i just found out 2 day my ANA was positive and what kinds of drugs can cause a positive ANA ?

can sum one pm me with the answer,thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

To perform the ANA (antinuclear antibody) test, sometimes called FANA (fluorescent antinuclear antibody test), a blood sample is drawn and sent to the lab for testing. Serum from the blood specimen is added to microscope slides that have commerically prepared cells on the slide surface. If the serum contains antinuclear antibodies (ANA), they bind to the cells (specifically the nuclei of the cells) on the slide.
    A second antibody, commercially tagged with a fluorescent dye, is added to the mix of the serum and commercially prepared cells on the slide. The second (fluorescent) antibody attaches to the serum antibodies and cells which have bound together. When labe technicians look at the cells under an ultraviolet microscope, antinuclear antibodies appear as fluorescent cells.
    If fluorescent cells are observed, the ANA (antinuclear antibody) test is considered positive. If fluorescent cells are not observed, the ANA (antinuclear antibody) test is considered negative. A titer is determined by repeating the positive test with serial dilutions until the test yields a negative result. The last dilution which yields a positive result (flourescence) is the titer which gets reported. The number of times the blood must be diluted until the antibody can no longer be detected is known as the "titer"; this is a commonly used measure of the level of ANA present in the serum. Thus, a titer of 1:40 means after the serum is diluted more than 40-fold, the ANA is no longer detectable.
    Certain medications, such as hydralazine, isoniazid, procainamide, and some anticonvulsant medications may increase the chances of having a positive ANA test!

I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie