Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my job

Thanks

Default Worried about my job

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone would have any advice for me, this is my problem. I told my employer that I had lupus which I am not sure was the right thing to do. I have had to miss some time from work due to my illness and some due to other reasons not related to my illness like a fall I took which injured my back. When I came back to work, I was approached by my supervisor and the Assistant administrator concerning the time I missed for my injury. I have gave excuses to my employer for all but this incident because my doctor was out of town and I didnt want a huge emergency room bill so I did not seek medical attention. During this meeting, I was asked if my Lupus was affecting my job. To me that seems way out of line to specifically ask about my disablity and refer to it as a problem. Does anyone know if I have any rights to protect myself from this kind of thing? I am in management myself but it seems like they are upset with me taking time off and now they are basically trying to say that they dont believe I can handle my job due to the Lupus. Please let me know if I have any legal rights here and If so who should I contact?

Thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, you do have rights. Lupus is protected under the "Americans With Disabilities Act" and you can contact them for support and information - contact the "Job Accommodation Network" at the ADA. Ask your supervisor and the Assistant manager if they asked you that question because they wanted to offer you job accommodation? If not, then ask them why the question was being asked?
    I do not know if you work for a government agency or a private agency. If you work for a government agency, there are usually many protections in place for employees. Contact your union representative and ask them to address this issue for you with your supervisor and Administrative Assistant.
    I do not know much about what types of protections are in place for a private agency. Perhaps someone else here does.
    I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I wish you the very best of luck with this! We have to deal with Lupus itself - we should not also have to deal with ignorance in the work place. I work for a non-profit that has always been very accomodating of the ADA, fortunately.

Please let us know how things go!
    Missy

Thanks

Do you have a human resources or anything where you work (I'm in Australia). Where I work we have those that handle workcover claims also handle the modified duties and transistion to work etc. They take care of injuries and modified dutys in general.

I know from what you are saying that it is not affecting your job as such and so they have no right to ask- but I'm just looking from it from the other side..

I have been instructed by my councillor to talk to them about modifing my dutys or potentially my hours as it is getting harder to keep up this workload. For me- it makes more sence to work *with* them and keep them informed of where I am health wise. From where I work I am well protected by various legal rights/unions and they would rather pay me to work modified dutys then to not come in at all.

I understand that not all workplaces are the same though and wish you luck.

:rainbowafro:

Thanks

Hi: Sounds like you have already gotten some sound advice from other posters but I just wanted to jump in a little a "be a little voice of reason". here. Any employer usually expects some medical substantiation when a person is off of work for more than a day or two, especially if they are paying you for sick days. This is pretty routine, and it might be wise in future to support your sick days with a medical letter even if it is just the flu and even if you have to pay for the service. I know I used to get caught up in that myself because when I was really ill the last thing I wanted to do was get out of bed and go to the doctor just for a letter. Some universities even require that if you have missed too many classes or ask for a postponement on an assignment. Good luck sorting this out.

Thanks

I am thankful to read this thread. My doctor just told me today there is no way I can teach in two weeks. I'm trying to figure out now how to tell my principal.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Your health is so important! I know that, as a teacher, you feel responsible for every child in your class and it is not like someone else will just step in and do what you do. I was a teacher and a substitute, so I know what you are going through. But, you must take care of your health so that you can, eventually, return to work.
    Ask your doctor to give you an off-work order to give to your principal. Have you already prepared your lesson plans? Perhaps you can do that now to give your sub some guidance (Oh, I hated going into classrooms that had no lesson plans) and so that your students will be where you want them to be when you return. Does your sub's salary come out of your salary? If so, explain this to your doctor so that he can refer you to some ways to get financial help if he wants you to be off for an extended amount of time.
    Please do not over-stress yourself and remember, we are here for you to help you in any way that we can! Take very good care of yourself, ok!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you, Susie ... I am so blessed by the people in this forum. Your level of care and compassion is incredible.

AND that's great advice about the work order.

Thanks

Default Lupus in the workplace

Ty for all the wonderful replies I have received. I do work for the state so it is government. I feel now that I am being watched and I feel so uncomfortable in a job I love. I am stressing over this which as we all know is not good for us especially when you have Lupus. You all are so fantastic to help like this and I value your respnses and your opinions. I will contact the ADA and find out how I shold handle this situation.

God Bless

Thanks

Pumpkin, the answer may be a bit different since you work for the State - and some states have different guidelines for their employees.

Nevertheless....hatlady will now put on her HR hat (I've worked in Human Resources since before God created dirt)...there are some things you'll want to know.

SaySusie's right about ADA - that's a VERY important thing to keep in mind. There's a website you can point your employers to... http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/ it is one used as a standard across the country.

Also... if you're working at least 1,250 hours/year AND have been with your employer at least 12 months, you're eligible for FMLA. Lupus would be a continuing serious health condition requiring ongoing treatment. Under FMLA, you have the RIGHT to up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period - time off (might be unpaid) with job protection. It doesn't have to be taken in a "block" - it can be in smaller increments, depends on what your doc says you need.

Hers's a link for that one... http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

If you have a good HR department there, work with them, they'll help you out. Look at your workplace policies as well.

Hugs sweetie, and you'll get through this.