Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Thanks

Default Please help!

Hi ..

My name is Ruth, I'm 52 and from MI.

Within the past three weeks I have had HORRID tingling/numbness in my arms and legs (now also in my face). I went to my doctor who said it was anxiety. A week later she prescribed Xanax (which I don't take). I FINALLY got her to refer me to a neurologist and he noticed that while I don't have "diffuse" neuropathy I DO have damage in my lower left leg. I get an MRI tonight and am having blood work done to test my ANA.

Four (and two) years ago I had "fever of unknown origin" with sore hands, sweating, and a huge weight loss. Both times it started with a bad cold/sore throat. Four years ago it lasted three months and two years ago it lasted sixw weeks. Two years ago I lost a good deal of hair three months later.

I have been sick again for a month ... weight loss, anxiety, tingling and low grade fever. I am so exhausted I can barely get out of bed and haven't slept more than three/four hours a night for a month.

Can any of you relate to this?

Thank you SO much for your input. I am a single mom, a teacher who is SUPPOSED to start back to school in two weeks, and TERRIFIED!!!! There is no WAY I can feel like this and teach 27 kids!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Ruth :lol:
    Unfortunately, your symptoms could be the result of several auto-immune disorders. The problem with Lupus (and most auto-immune diseases) is that the symptoms mimic those of other diseases. That is why it is not uncommon to find that most of us have several auto-immune illnesses at the same time (such as Lupus+Fibromyalgia/ Polymyositis + Raynauds/ Sjgoren's + Rheumatoid Arthritis)....anyway, you get my meaning, I'm sure!
    Most of us, prior to our diagnosis, have determined that we suffered from symptoms for many, many years before we were finally told what diseases we had. It appears that you are (and have been) going through the same thing. I cannot tell you what you may be suffering from, but it certainly does sound like an auto-immune disorder. The fevers and hair loss could be symptoms of Lupus - the tingling and numbness in your face could be shingles (which are also often seen with Lupus patients) or even symptoms of dermatomyositis/polymyositis; the sore hands could by symptoms of lesions due to Lupus or arthritic pain due to RA. As you can see, there is no way of knowing what your symptoms actually are until your doctors run tests and do lab work.
    I can tell you that, no matter what the diagnosis, over stressing yourself will invariably worsen your symptoms. Please try not to stress too much!
    We are here to help you in any way that we can and to provide you with as many answers as we can! I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I don't know how not to stress about this.

My urine is dark and smells. I have NO appetite and am losing a RIDICULOUS amount of weight.

I just don't know where to turn.

Thanks

I cannot STRESS ENOUGH ABOUT NOT STRESSING, find and recieve some help from someone to help you make it through this time, stress alone will make things 100% WORSE, I have done this and it put me in the hospital, and i dont mean to scare you, but right at this point in time you have to stop and learn how to create an atmosphere that doesnt effect your health, I can tell you're a very busy lady and as you have not had a clinical diagnosis yet, that doesnt stop the fact that you show symptoms of an imunicological disease and while none us of are doctors we can see the handwriting on the wall, not to say that there are a few that are quite knowledgable such as saysuzie above,

it is time to step back and take several deep breathes

please give the area of the country you are in maybe someone on this forum is close and can give you a hand

I really hope you're not an english teacher, i know ive made mistakes
    :lol:

Best wishes Terry
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4sons
    I don't know how not to stress about this.

My urine is dark and smells. I have NO appetite and am losing a RIDICULOUS amount of weight.

I just don't know where to turn.
    And one more piece of advice,,,,,,,see a doctor soon about this,asap
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

I'm in West Michigan. I am going to see my GP right now. Something is terribly wrong. I am going to BEG for complete testing.

Thanks

Good luck, let us know what doc says.
    Cheryl

Thanks

I think that's a great idea (to get to a doctor). Keeping track of your symptoms is important in trying to find the problem. The dark urine, smelly, losing weight is definitely something to tell the docs, as Terry said.

Also, I know they mentioned anxiety, but have they checked your blood pressure? When I had high blood pressure (due to Lupus kidney problems), I felt the symptoms of anxiety from having high BP. It's a bizarre and "wrong" feeling.

Best of luck and let us know how the doctor appointment goes.
    Missy

Thanks

yes please let us know how everything turns out
    Fair Oaks California

Thanks

Ok .. I had the following tests run with the past 48 hours:

ADA
    RA
    SED rate
    CBC
    2 blood cultures
    ESR
    stool sample
    CPK
    Thyroid with C3 and C4
    Lyme titer
    SPEP

An EMG which does NOT show diffuse neuropathy but does show nerve damage to my leg.

An MRI of my left leg.

Hopefully I should know SOMETHING within a couple days. We did check previous lab work and when I first got really sick five years ago they did NOT do an ANA. Grrrr.